10+ Design Publications Creative Professionals Should Read
If you’re a creative professional, then you know how important it is to stay up-to-date on the latest design trends. After all, your livelihood depends on it! The good news is there are plenty of great design publications out there that can help you do just that. To get you started, we’ve rounded up 10+ of the best design publications creative professionals should read. Trust us, they’re worth your time!
1. A List Apart
A List Apart is a great resource for web designers and developers. The publication covers a wide range of topics, including code, content, design, and user experience. With new articles published every week, you’re sure to find something that’s relevant to your work.
Recent stories worth a look include:
- Mobile-First CSS: Is It Time for a Rethink?
- Designers, (Re)define Success First
- Voice Content and Usability
2. Smashing Magazine
Smashing Magazine is another must-read for creative professionals. The publication includes things like web design and development with a particular emphasis on front end design and user experience. They publish new articles multiple times per week and consistently offer unique perspectives into the UX space.
They’ve recently published stories like the following:
- WordPress Full-Site Editing: A Deep Dive Into the New Feature
- Sustainable Web Development Strategies Within an Organization
- A Roadmap for Building a Business Chatbot
3. Creative Bloq
If you work in the creative industry, then Creative Bloq is a must-read for you. The publication features articles on everything from graphic design and web design to 3D and illustration. With multiple new articles released every day, there’s always something new and relevant for you to read.
A few recent highlights include:
- 13 Fearsome Fonts for Halloween
- The Best Monitors for MacBook Pro in 2022
- AI Delivers a Hilarious Upgrade to 90s Video Game Characters
4. Design Observer
Design Observer is a great resource for designers of all stripes. The publication covers topics spanning every aspect of the world of design including architecture, graphic design, illustration, and interactive design. From in-depth essays to personal perspectives to podcast interviews, there’s something for everybody here.
Check out the following articles to get a sense of what they’re about:
- Architecture & Design Film Festival 2022
- Dr. Temple Grandin by Design Matters
- Annie Atkins on the Business of Design
Dezeen is a top destination for design news, stories, and inspiration. The publication covers everything from architecture and interiors to product design and technology. They publish articles on a regular basis and it’s well worth keeping up with.
Recent standouts include:
- Alberto Kalach designs monumental hotel entirely powered by solar energy
- Dress sprayed onto model on Coperni catwalk at Paris Fashion Week
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute presents ten architecture projects
6. Creative Bloom
Creative Bloom is a great resource for creative professionals of all types. The publication covers topics ranging from business and marketing to design and creativity with lots of practical advice and tips thrown in.
Recent articles worth reading include:
- How to become a graphic designer in less than a year
- Tom O’Meara uses traditional animation techniques in charming train film
- Ukrainian photographer Ira Lupu captures how her homeland has changed forever
7. UX Collective
UX Collective is a must-read for anybody who works in the field of user experience. The publication features articles on everything from design and research to strategy and technology with a focus on helping UX professionals improve their craft.
They’ve recently published stories like:
- The appeal of complex components in user interface design systems
- How much money does a Senior Product Designer make?
- Personas should be living and breathing
8. Mindsparkle Mag
Mindsparkle Mag is another top destination for creative professionals. This publication features top designs of the day that can serve as inspiration and insight into what’s currently trending. There’s no articles here but it’s definitely worth a look.
9. I Love Typography
I Love Typography is a great resource for graphic designers and typographers. The publication covers everything from typefaces and fonts to design trends and history. They publish new articles once per week along with multiple font resources.
Recent standouts include:
- From Rock to Screw to New York Times: An Interview with Steven Heller
- Font of the Month: Slag
- What Serif Typeface Would Go Well With Proxima Nova
10. The Creative Edge by 99designs
The Creative Edge is a blog by 99designs, a well-known marketplace for graphic designers. The blog covers everything from design tips and tricks to business advice for creative professionals. And we’re not just talking web design here — this blog covers branding, packaging, and more.
A few recent published posts include:
- 26 bad packaging design examples (and ideas for how to improve them)
- Restaurant website design you can feast your eyes on
- 10 logo design tips to boost your brand presence
11. The Dribble Blog
Dribbble is a well-known community for designers and The Dribbble Blog is a great resource for design inspiration. Every week, they showcase the best designs from the Dribbble community along with helpful articles on design trends and tips.
Here are a few of their latest helpful posts:
- 10 minimal app designs packed with major inspiration
- “Don’t be fearful of scaling.” — A chat with agency founder Oleg Davydov
- UX Ideation 101: Tips & tools for laying the right design foundations
WebDesignerDepot is one of the most popular resources for web designers and developers. They cover everything from tutorials and tips to design trends and news. They also have a section devoted to freebies, which is always a bonus.
Some recent articles worth checking out include:
- Exciting New Tools For Designers, October 2022
- How To Build A Design Portfolio With Zero Clients
- 12 Best Email Marketing Services For 2022 (Ranked)
Creative Pros Should Always Further Their Design Education
No matter how experienced you are, there’s always more to learn when it comes to design. Thankfully, there are plenty of great publications out there that can help you stay up-to-date on the latest trends and techniques. So if you’re looking to further your education, be sure to check out some of the publications on this list.