25 Interview Questions to Ask Graphic Designers in 2022 [with 10 Titles for Job Listings]
Is your company looking to hire talented graphic designers? In this post, we’re discussing common, career-focused, and in-depth interview questions to ask Graphic Designers in 2022. So, read on.
Common Interview Questions (#1-10)
These questions cover general topics that an interviewer might touch on. They may not directly apply to the creative position you’re interviewing a designer for. However, this shortlist contains common interview questions that relate to the graphic design industry.
- Can you tell me a little bit about yourself?
- Why are you interested in a design position at this company?
- In your opinion, what makes a good designer?
- Where do you draw your design inspiration from?
- What is the most intriguing design concept you’ve seen recently and what do you like or dislike about it?
- Do you prefer to work by yourself or collaboratively in a team?
- Can you perform well under pressure and tight deadlines?
- What kind of design projects do you enjoy?
- Where do you see yourself in the next two years?
- If you weren’t a graphic designer, what would you be?
Career-focused Interview Questions (#11-20)
Want to find out more about an applicant’s experience? These questions help focus the interview on the important details of the candidate’s career. Use this list to learn more about your prospective employee without getting lost in the extraneous details.
- What prompted you to become a graphic designer?
- Can you explain your design process?
- Can you tell me about your educational background related to graphic design?
- How many years have you been working as a designer?
- Can you tell me about the last design project you worked on?
- Who is your favorite designer or design house?
- Do you have experience working in print media?
- Have you done any work or projects, pro-bono?
- Which design tools are you most proficient in?
- How do you keep up with the latest in graphic design?
In-depth Interview Questions (#21-25)
Find out what the designers you’re hiring, think. Ready to dive deeper into a candidate’s design process? This list can help.
- What is your process for drafting a design brief?
- What is your favorite typeface and why?
- What do you think about the concept of design thinking?
- How do you think our brand could improve its design?
- What type of workflow management tools do you use when working collaboratively?
10 Job Titles for Graphic Designers in 2022
Not sure how to label the graphic design position your company is trying to fulfill? The list below is a great place to start.
- Graphic Designer
- 3D Designer
- Motion Graphics Designer
- Design Director
- Visual Designer
- Web Designer
- Communication Designer
- UI/UX Designer
- Print Designer
- Multimedia Designer