The National Institute of Building Sciences, a small but highly-respected organization within the building industry, seeks a Graphic Designer to be assigned to a U.S. Government Agency. The Graphic Designer will perform various tasks associated with the Agency’s Building Information Management Program as part of the National Institute of Building Sciences’ onsite team. This position requires someone with five years of web design and graphic design experience.
The Graphic Designer performs tasks and assignments that typically include, but are not necessarily limited to, the following:
- Establish/maintain a brand identity that boldly represents the U.S. Government agency;
- Develop brand standards to apply across Agency design mediums;
- Generate clear and consistent Brand Standards and assist team in applying them;
- Develop and help implement flexible designs that can adapt to support the diverse scope and needs of government digital services;
- Design and assist team to implement Microsoft templates;
- Work with subject matter experts to design and create infographics to clarify complex ideas and requirements;
- Harmonization of disparate applications, websites and other internal systems. Web design standards will be general enough to encompass many deliverables, but will be specifically used on the following:
o Planning system User Interface
o Dynamic Design Standards User Interface Mock-Ups
o Planning Application User Interface Mock-Ups
o Agency Master Reference Database Application User Interface Mock-Ups
- Harmonization of disparate PowerPoint templates, design guides, design standards, and other physical presentation media. Print design standards will be general enough to encompass many deliverables, but will be specifically used on the following:
o Planning PDF Design
o Design Standards Planning PDF(s)
o Design Guide Planning Diagrams
o Training and informational materials
- Perform other related tasks as assigned by the Agency and team leadership.
Knowledge and Skills
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Captivate;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel template design;
- Experience utilizing the latest federal policy for websites and digital services;
- Experience meeting the high accessibility standards in Section 508 of the United States Workforce Rehabilitation Act of 1973;
- Basic sketching skills for rapidly iterating collaboratively;
- Ability to operate a camera and photo editing skill is required;
- Strong understanding of design principles, excellent visual design skills; and technical knowledge of design tools;
- Extremely detail oriented with high quality/accuracy and proofreading skills;
- Knowledge of offset printing process and how to design and create files for optimal print quality and efficiency;
- Ability to balance the customer experience with business requirements and considerations;
- Ability to work closely with developers, understanding their technical capabilities and constraints;
- Experience in designing across platforms, media, and devices;
· Dependable — more reliable than spontaneous
· People-oriented — enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
· Detail-oriented — would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
· Innovative — prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity
· Must possess, at a minimum, a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution recognized as such by the U.S. Department of Education.
· Be granted or able to obtain at a minimum, an interim Secret security clearance prior to entry on duty, and then obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance throughout the period of employment.
· Must be a U.S. citizen and have a valid Passport.
· Be able to work at an office in the Washington, DC area during regular work hours. The Graphic Designer will work at the Agency’s site and at National Institute of Building Sciences’ site on a regular schedule. Part-time telecommuting can be requested after 90 days.
· Have at least 5 years of experience in the field.
· Submit a portfolio or relevant work with application.
Job Type: Full-time
· Web design: 5 years (Preferred)
· Graphic Design: 5 years (Required)
Work Authorization: United States (Required)
Work Location: Multiple locations
To apply for the Graphic Designer position
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. A portfolio or link to a portfolio or other relevant work is required for consideration. EOE/M/F/D/V
Applications must include a link to your portfolio or other work samples