Focus Lab is a strategic brand agency, and we are searching for the next addition to our team. Our focus is targeted to brand and brand expression, which to us play out in visual identity, communications, interactive design and development, and creative content production.
You can check out some videos of our work and culture on Vimeo.
Brand Strategy defines a foundation and rationale for a company’s brand. We are looking for a strong brand strategist who loves the strategic branding process and the power of storytelling.
You will contribute your drive for research, analysis, and critical thinking to help define that same foundation and rationale for our clients. Through research and analysis into our clients’ identity, audience, and competitors, you will define the direction for brand identities, presenting them in comprehensive strategy documents, and being the strategic voice for the design of the brand. You are comfortable learning the ins and outs of our clients’ companies, their industries, and their offerings. You’re equally at ease with conversations about business objectives, positioning, and differentiation. You understand that stories are key to your work, and know how to tell a good one while sniffing out the bad. You’re not afraid of having difficult conversations with clients, showing them how strategy is the cornerstone of all design work. You consider yourself actively collaborative, an empathic listener, a critical thinker, and hungry to be empowering and encouraging within a team of strategists, writers, and designers.
If you think you might be a good fit, consider these questions: Do you seek out opportunities to collaborate on brand strategy and design? Are you able to develop a rapport with clients in such a way that it enables you to produce better strategy? Do you value listening? Do you crave critical feedback? Do you lean into challenging design problems? Do you love building up your team members? Can you navigate the nuances of client communication, getting consensus on directions that might feel uncomfortable for clients?
If this sounds like you, you may be our next teammate!
We are going to be extremely selective about your:
- Depth of brand strategy experience across industries and functions
- Ability to write for emphasis and storytelling flow
- Ability to create and edit widely varied brand strategies
- Desire for and/or track record of collaboration
- Experience writing for specific online audiences
- Attention to grammar, punctuation, and usage details
- Use of the word “gopher” somewhere in your application to be considered for this role
- Availability, responsiveness, and pro-activeness
- Ability to prove efficiency, especially if you’re remote
- Fit within our company dynamic
You can expect to:
- Conduct research and analysis around our clients’ audience, industry, and competitors
- Propose and defend recommendations for brand direction
- Create and present a comprehensive brand strategy document for a wide range of industries
- Work closely with brand project manager, design director, communications strategists, copywriters, and brand designers
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with clients
- Conduct brand strategy exercises, concepting meetings, and other collaborative design sessions
- Initiate and lead strategic branding team meetings and initiatives
We are open to remote team members (US only at this time), but for this position we prefer people to join us in our Savannah office.
- A depth of experience conducting brand strategy and brand process
- A portfolio that clearly shows your brand strategy process and final solutions that resulted from your strategy work
- The ability to manage yourself and do deep work, while also seeing the value of working collaboratively
- The ability to express ideas clearly and emphatically—both written and orally—with a variety of audiences, deciding when and what should be communicated, and to whom.
We will cover the full benefits package further into the interview process, but the key benefits provided by Focus Lab are:
- Unlimited paid time off
- Health, dental, and vision insurance plans (medical and dental covered at 50% for you and your family dependents)
- Life and disability insurance plans
- 401(k) retirement match (up to 3-4%)
- Paid parental, adoption/caregiver leave
- Annual professional development stipend
- Access to the SmartDollar Financial Wellness program, including the EveryDollar Budgeting App
- A stocked fridge and pantry for local office team members
- Two week paid holiday rest at the end of the year
- Ancillary benefits like personalized drag-and-drop emojis, swag overload, and an improved .gif arsenal
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Focus Lab. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. No matter who you are, if what you’ve read so far sounds like you—we want to hear from you!
Unlimited time off, health benefits covered at 50% for you (and the fam), 401(k), paid parental/adoption leave, stocked fridge at your beautiful HQ in Savannah, Georgia, professional development stipend, team swag, personalized “drag-and-drop” emojis, and an improved .gif arsenal.
Interested? Cool. Here’s what happens now: Please respond with a resume stating your years of experience in your respective areas of expertise, plus a cover letter that conveys your enthusiasm, states wage requirements, and includes a link to your portfolio. We look forward to hearing from you!