Product Manager - Assessment Products
Location: Boston, MA
Position is available: Immediately
WHO WE ARE
Achievement Network (ANet) is a nonprofit dedicated to educational equity. We help schools boost student learning with great teaching that’s grounded in standards, informed by data, and built on the successful practices of educators around the country. Founded in 2005, ANet now serves over 700 schools educating over 230,000 students across the country. Our support has consistently helped our partner schools—both district and charter—achieve breakthrough results for their students.
ANet has received multiple awards and recognitions, most recently receiving the highest ratings (Tier 1) on our math and ELA formative assessments from the Louisiana Department of Education, the only organization to receive such high marks. We were also named to The NonProfit Time’s “Best Nonprofits to Work For” and in the 2018-19 school year will be launching the Breakthrough Results Fund (https://www.achievementnetwork.org/breakthrough…), a four-year collaboration to prove what’s possible in instructional improvement.
ANet is a dynamic, values driven, team-oriented organization that is committed to the growth and development of all staff members. Individuals who join ANet have the opportunity to join an exceptional team of colleagues committed to helping schools drive excellent teaching and learning by investing in each other and learning together.
The Product Manager will be the mediator and translator between business owners and engineers to build, refine, and execute our product vision. This individual is grounded in the craftsmanship of engineering, and understands technical complexities and feasibility of product development. At the same time, they are deeply knowledgeable about EdTech, able to listen to business owners, and synthesize these perspectives for stakeholders and engineers within the broader context of ANet’s product strategy and product roadmap. Using both sets of expertise, the Product Manager is responsible for translating our product strategy into project timelines and milestones that are visible to business owners and actionable for engineers. They will also manage third party contractors and vendors. The Product Manager will report to the VP, Product.
ANet has several platforms that enable equitable instruction which the Product Manager will need to support including:
- Our Assessment Delivery System enables students to take online assessments and quizzes.
- Our Quiz Tool is built to enable teachers to create short-cycle assessments.
- Our Assessment Development Tool used by our internal content team.
- MyANet is a teacher- and leader-facing web application that provides interim assessment data reports, standards-based resources, and a portal to support online test administration.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Lead the product planning process for ANet’s assessment products
- Solicit market intel and user needs from ANet’s partner-facing teams (including Instructional Products, Program Support & Operations, and local Network teams)
- Engage with business owners to solicit, refine, and define user stories for projects and ensure that user stories are actionable and have clear testing criteria
- Develop process, define features, map out timeline, and prioritize needs for ANet’s assessment products based on org-wide product strategy and roadmap developed by the VP, Product
- Work with engineers and scrum masters to ensure timely and quality execution against the product roadmap
- Provide project plans and manage execution with clear milestones and goals
- Provide regular updates on progress to goals as required by stakeholders
- Negotiate multiple projects across multiple applications and business units
Operate as a bridge between ANet’s program/service-related teams and technology teams
- Leverage strong relationship-building skills to influence the product vision & technical approach such that we effectively balance business owner vision & prioritization, technical feasibility, and product coherence
- Ensure that requirements and expectations for user stories are clear to both engineers and business owners
- Facilitate effective communication between engineers and business owners
- Conduct backlog grooming; negotiate priorities and sprint scope with scrum master, engineers, and business owners
Play a support role in ANet’s overall product strategy development
- As the VP, Product develops ANet’s short- and long-term product strategy, elevate needs and priorities, particularly those directly related to our assessment products
- Proactively compile data on usage of our tools to gauge the effectiveness of our products and inform future priorities and influence strategy
Work collaboratively with business owners and the Product Steering Committee to maximize our impact on our partners through establishing and executing on the organizational technical product roadmap.
WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU BRING
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
- You have a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels
- You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily and are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to ANet’s Advance Equity and People Matter values
- You are a strong project manager who knows how to manage complex technical projects across a diverse set of colleagues, even in high-pressure and/or ambiguous contexts
- You have about 10 years of overall experience with at least 5 years of direct product management experience which has provided you with a solid understanding at a high level of how software development works, a good intuition for complexity level estimation for different types of software requests, and and ability to quickly and thoroughly reach super-user status with a variety of software solutions
- You have exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to both understand and communicate stakeholders’ needs across program and technical staff
- You sweat the small stuff and bring exceptional attention to detail and a commitment to excellence with everything you do, even when juggling multiple projects and tasks at once
- You are a natural facilitator between technical experts and stakeholders
- You have previous experience or domain knowledge of the K-12 education space and/or K-12 EdTech from working in schools, organizations serving schools, and/or organizations supporting EdTech products
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
- You have foundational knowledge of K-12 education and bring prior experience with assessment authoring and testing platforms
- You’re adept at digging into a variety of data sources, and developing insights to inform how product teams prioritize their work
WHAT WE OFFER
ANet offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 3 weeks of vacation (4 weeks after two years with ANet); 10 paid holidays with paid days off between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays; a paid floating holiday; paid sick & personal days; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
HOW TO APPLY
We are now accepting applications for this position, which will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please click on the blue “Apply” button. You will then be prompted to complete a brief application and upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter in which you outline why you are interested in working for ANet and how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.