The Office of Communications and Marketing seeks to hire a talented web designer/developer to join the Creative Communications web team. Our team is responsible for all aspects of the university’s primary web presence (www.utk.edu) as well as design, development, maintenance, and support of many of the most visible sites within the utk.edu domain. We are also responsible for establishing online brand standards by designing, developing, disseminating, and supporting website templates and themes. We also serve as consultants for the university community regarding best practices in information architecture, design, accessibility, and content management.
- An associate degree in web/electronic media (or related discipline) or a bachelor’s degree (any discipline)
- At least 2 years of professional experience directly related to website design and/or development
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree (any discipline)
- A solid understanding of and commitment to web standards, including web accessibility standards
- Experience developing within and extending CMS frameworks such as WordPress and Expression Engine
- Particular experience developing WordPress themes and plugins
- Familiarity with web server configuration, particularly for WordPress and Expression Engine
- Familiarity with MySQL databases
- Familiarity with CSS pre-processors
- Familiarity with RESTful API integration
- Familiarity with the Git version control system
- Familiarity with best practices for mobile website delivery
- Hands-on experience with user-centered design
- An understanding of the unique challenges of online communications across a variety of media
- A commitment to the mission of public higher education
Please apply using the university’s online application system. Attach a résumé and cover letter, at least three references, and examples of your work. The examples can be screenshots or links to live sites, but for each, please explain your role in its implementation. Salary and rank dependent upon experience.
About the Office
The Office of Communications and Marketing is the centralized office responsible for promoting, protecting, and managing the reputation of the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. We advocate for the university’s interests by sharing its accomplishments and being stewards of the brand. We are a group of individuals with diverse backgrounds and interests who share a sense of creativity and wonder and a love for the university.
UT offers a comprehensive benefits package including insurance, retirement, paid leave, etc., as well as educational assistance and fee waiver for employees, spouses, and their dependents. You’ll also be working on a university campus in a vibrant urban area near the most biodiverse park in the National Park system.