Northwestern University Opportunity (Job ID 34014):
Northwestern University seeks to employ a varied and diverse range of dynamic people who understand the importance of our mission and vision. When you consider a career at Northwestern University, you know that you are joining an institution with a deep history of academic, professional and personal excellence.
Currently, we have a career opportunity as a Web & Electronic Communications Specialist (Chicago Campus).
The Web & Electronic Communications Specialist manages the day-to-day operations of the Northwestern Law web content management system. The individual is responsible for coordinating with departments to ensure consistent, functional navigation and design, and accurate and current web content across the Law School websites. It is a critical web-support role. This position maintains the CSS files of a responsive website, and handles various front-end development maintenance and enhancement work.
Please note: Position requires flexible schedule to accommodate business needs during busy periods (occasional overtime).
- Administration of the web content management system and site navigation tool including: adding new webpages and content blocks, setting up user permissions and groups, creating training materials and best practices guides, conducting new user training, customizing the cms (css, wysiwyg, menus) for ease-of-use, and handling system troubleshooting.
- Provide front-line email and phone support for cms users. Address and resolve strategic, logistical, and technological issues. Proactively coach existing users surrounding: site standards, how to package and label web content, search engine optimization (seo), and best practices in maintaining an easy-to-understand website information architecture.
- Work with the Web Communications Manager and Applications Development team to establish styles for public facing web pages and forms that follow best practices in modern web design and usability. Look for opportunities to integrate new features and technologies in an effective manner in a responsive website environment. Manage and update CSS style sheets across all Law School websites.
- Respond to and facilitate website changes and enhancements in accordance with requests from Law School administration, faculty, and departments. Handle varied website operations and maintenance tasks.
- Prioritize and manage multiple day-to-day projects as well as long-term, complex projects.
- Serve as a backup for the Web Communications Manager in areas such as updating the Law School home page and in various other capacities related to electronic communications.
- Build, manage, and send custom HTML emails within various email marketing software platforms.
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of education, training, and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired.
- 2-5 years’ experience maintaining, supporting, enhancing, and testing the front-end of content-intensive websites within a fast-paced environment.
- Experience working with responsive websites.
- Expert HTML skills.
- Intermediate or greater CSS3 skills.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Working knowledge of content management systems.
- Excellent interpersonal client service and negotiating skills.
- Ability to execute and manage numerous jobs concurrently, work independently and in teams, and manage projects from start to completion with minimal instruction.
- Strong front-end website development skills and experience (HTML5 and CSS3).
- Familiarity with and ability to learn and use a CSS Preprocessor.
- Familiarity with mobile website frameworks.
- Basic skillset for building HTML emails and familiarity with email marketing software.
- Strong design sense.
- Photo editing capabilities within software such as Adobe Photoshop.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Experience with SEO, web usability best practices, web design, and web application testing a plus.
- Experience creating and designing user friendly interfaces for web applications a plus.
- Experience with blogging software such as Wordpress a plus.
Working at Northwestern University:
Beyond being a place to learn and grow professionally, Northwestern is an exciting and fulfilling place to work! Northwestern offers many benefit options to full and part-time employees including: competitive compensation; excellent retirement plans; comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage; dependent care match; vacation, sick and holiday pay; professional development opportunities and tuition reimbursement.
Northwestern greatly values work/life balance amongst its employees. Take advantage of recreational, cultural, and enrichment opportunities on campus. Employees also receive access to childcare solutions, retail discounts, and other work/life balance resources.
Northwestern University is an equal opportunity employer and strongly believes in creating an environment that welcomes students, faculty and staff of all races, nationalities and religions. In doing so, we offer our students the opportunity to learn and grow in diverse communities preparing them for successful careers in an increasingly global and diverse work force.
For consideration, please click on the link below. You will be directed to Northwestern University’s electronic recruiting system, eRecruit, where you will apply for current openings. Once you apply, you will receive an email confirming submission of your resume. For all resumes received, if there is interest in your candidacy, the human resources recruiter or the department hiring manager will contact you. Job Opening ID number for this position is 34014.
34014-Web & Electronic Communications Specialist - https://careers.northwestern.edu/psp/hr92proder/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRSHRAM.HRSAPPSCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRSAPPJBPST&Action=U&SiteId=1&FOCUS=Employee&JobOpeningId=34014&PostingSeq=1
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.