Who we are:
On average, U.S. students are with substitute teachers for 5% of the typical school year. That means our students have substitute teachers for more than six months of their K-12 school career. The problem? We’re suffering from a national shortage of substitute teachers.
Swing Education is focused on tackling the substitute teacher shortage. We make it easy for great schools and quality subs to find each other. We help schools access more subs and offload tedious work (recruiting, screening, payroll, etc.) and we help subs find jobs, gain experience and build their professional network.
We’re a diverse and inclusive team, based out of San Mateo, CA. We find it easy to get up in the morning and work for teachers, schools, and students.
Who you are:
A Product Designer with a background in Visual Design, who is passionate about being an advocate for our users (both teachers and administrators). You are a perpetual learner, committed to personal growth. You’re also a great teammate, happy to help when needed. You have an eye for new trends in design, while keeping a strong foundation of platform-specific patterns and constraints. Your time may be split between the Product Team and the Marketing Team, so comfort with print design is a plus.
This is a great position for someone who is looking to transition into UX from Visual Design. Our team is committed to mentoring less experienced candidates by providing professional development and growth opportunities.
You will collaborate with Design, Product Management, and Engineering to ensure Visual, UI and UX continuity across all features geared toward substitute teachers as well as school administrators.
- Ideate design solutions with the Product team.
- Conduct user research to generate new ideas and test existing ones.
- Develop interaction models, user flows, and UI specifications.
- Create low-fidelity as well as high-fidelity mock-ups for multiple platforms (web, mobile web and mobile app).
- Collaborate with Product and Engineering to test in-process builds and make recommendations to help improve the product.
- Craft print materials.
- Find creative solutions with minimal resources.
- Contribute to the development of Swing’s design culture, process, and infrastructure.
- Experience with and passion for simple, beautiful and clean visual design.
- Experience or deep interest in user-centered digital product design.
- Understanding of how websites and apps are built.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Mission-driven & inspired by teachers.
- Commitment to learning, self-improvement, and growth.
- Illustration skills.
- Print design skills.
- HTML/CSS abilities.
Swing Education is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants.
- Medical/dental/vision benefits
- Generous PTO
- Paid holidays
- Family leave
- Stock options
- 401k match
- $1k/year for professional development
- A stocked kitchen and unlimited caffeine
- Mission-driven work
- Fun, collaborative, balanced culture