Out of the Sandbox (https://outofthesandbox.com/) is the leading designer of premium Shopify themes and is known for providing an exceptional customer support experience. Our award-winning team has developed the most popular and best-reviewed themes available for Shopify. Shopify is a rapidly growing commerce platform with 500k+ merchants in over 150 countries.
Background and context for this role:
In the Shopify and theme design world, UX plays a particularly significant role because there are two different user types we must account for: the customer of the online shop as well as the “merchant” who will be interacting with the theme settings to setup their site.
The merchant’s experience of the setup process is affected by the availability and complexity of the settings they have at their disposal for each page, section and component of their theme, and we endeavor to keep this as clear and straightforward as possible, while still giving them lots of options and flexibility.
At the same time, we want to ensure enough built-in consistency and best practices that they cannot inadvertently create a shop that leads to unsightly interfaces or poor UX for their customers.
As a UX/UI specialist, you will play a key role in researching, conceptualizing and designing interface solutions for these interesting yet unique UX/UI challenges!
What you’ll do
- Play a key role in establishing design standards and UI component libraries for new themes
- Work with the Design Director to define and maintain the creative vision for both upcoming and existing themes, including overall styling and micro-interactions
- Create conceptual wireframes for theme components and layouts, along with their related settings
- Create high-fidelity mockups to solidify and illustrate the design direction for a theme, and to serve as a go-to reference for the development team
- Create interactive prototypes for demonstration or user testing purposes
- Advocate for UX best practices and design standards
- Apply and maintain a consistent art style throughout the entire project interface
- Collaborate with our dev, documentation, and support teams to help shape a successful user experience for both the merchant and end user of our themes
- Review, test and approve design-related features, giving feedback and guidance to the dev team to help achieve pixel perfection
- Suggest enhancements and improvements to our themes in terms of new features, improved UI, better UX on the theme editor side, etc.
- Contribute to other design projects, including graphics and content creation for demo shops, social feeds and marketing campaigns
What you’ll need
- Fluency in modern best practices for UX and interaction design, and a deep empathy for all users
- Current with the latest UI trends, and keen on staying tuned to emerging UI technologies
- Solid experience designing and prototyping mobile and desktop interfaces
- Proficiency in Sketch, InVision, Balsamiq, Photoshop, or other prototyping tools
- A strong portfolio demonstrating your passion for interactive design, including samples of wireframes, component libraries and live projects
- Super detail-oriented, strong aesthetic sensibility and appreciation of good visual design
- Excellent eye for color, shape, composition and iconography
- Ability to articulate the rationale for design decisions
- Ability to work in a remotely distributed, collaborative environment, alongside the rest of our awesome and highly technical team
- Ability to embrace feedback and adapt designs as required in collaboration with other designers and the rest of the team
- Comfortable working with flexible processes, knowing when to pivot and shift as necessary
Nice to have
- Familiarity with a11y and usability requirements
- Comfortable tweaking styles in CSS, editing Shopify’s liquid templates and interacting with git repositories
- Previous experience with ecommerce sites
- Familiarity with the Shopify platform in particular
- Experience using a design methodology to improve workflow speed and efficiency
- Motion graphic and animation design
- Graphic design and image editing capabilities
- Although Out of the Sandbox is a remote company, preference will be given to candidates based in Ottawa or Toronto
This position includes an employer paid benefits plan for medical/dental expenses, a health and wellness program, flexible hours and vacation policy, conference travel, and any hardware or software required.
Please include a link to your design portfolio.