Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) satisfies curiosity and engages superfans with a portfolio of premium nonfiction, lifestyle, sports and kids programming brands. Reaching more than 3 billion cumulative viewers across pay-TV and free-to-air platforms in more than 220 countries and territories, Discovery’s portfolio includes the global brands Discovery Channel, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Science and Turbo/Velocity, as well as OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network in the U.S., Discovery Kids in Latin America, and Eurosport, the leading provider of locally relevant, premium sports and Home of the Olympic Games across Europe. Discovery reaches audiences across screens through digital-first programming from digital content holding company Group Nine Media, Discovery VR, over-the-top offerings Eurosport Player and Dplay, as well as TV Everywhere products comprising the GO portfolio of TVE apps and Discovery K!ds Play. For more information, please visit www.discoverycommunications.com.
We are seeking candidates for the position of Manager, Client Engineering to be located in our New York City office.
We are a small, but mighty team, working at the cross roads of technology and entertainment to bring content from iconic television brands to our audiences over the Internet in the most entertaining ways we can imagine and build. As television changes, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery - every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
Discovery Digital Media is looking for a Client Engineering Manager responsible for growing, mentoring and leading a team of client engineers to build TV Everywhere applications with best-of-breed UX across Web, Android, iOS, FireTV, tvOS, Xbox, Roku and future platforms.
We deploy applications for each of our network brands: Discovery, TLC, Velocity, Science Chanel, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, American Heroes Channel, Destination America, Discovery Life, Discovery Familia and Discovery en Espaol.
Our client technology stack includes ReactJS, Redux, Node.js, ReactNative, Swift, Android and BrightScript. We love working with modern tools and sharing our experiences with the community.
This is a fantastic opportunity to help solve complex but interesting scalability, performance and availability problems for products consumed by millions of users each day! You will have the opportunity to work with a suite of great technologies and in a highly collaborative environment where the engineers get together on a quarterly basis in NY to problem solve major business challenges.
1. Lead by example through coding, this is a hands-on engineering role.
2. Write clean, concise, readable code that follows common design patterns and principles.
3. Complete work with a conscientious attitude and good follow-through.
4. Collaborate with coworkers from design, engineering, product, project, QA and content teams.
5. Translate functional requirements into solutions that work well with current architecture.
6. Preform peer code reviews.
7. Utilize multi-tasking and context shifting skills.
8. Identify inefficiencies and make recommendations.
9. Develop prototypes and proof of concept projects to test the waters with new technologies or ideas.
10. Stay informed with changes in technology and formally present new processes and technologies our team.
11. Produce comprehensive, usable software documentation.
12. Provide skill development opportunities to direct reports and work with them in regular one-on-one sessions.
13. Work with personal connections, HR and recruiters to define and fill open positions.
14. Communicate team status, drive and morale.
15. Partner with other cross-functional managers to ensure capacity and velocity is maintained.
What You Need
* 10+ years of professional experience architecting, developing, and launching software products and/or services.
* 2+ years of experience managing successful engineering teams including hiring and performance management.
* Commanding knowledge of device manufacturer guidelines, signing, certification and publishing processes.
* Strong oral and written communication skills.
Skills & Requirements
* You are comfortable with collaborating using Git.
* Ability to provide code samples either privately or through a Github repo.
* Several applications in an App store with a favorable rating.
* Knowledge of debugging and profiling.
* Must have legal right to work in the United States.
Nice to Haves
Experience with any of the following would be considered a plus…
* Design interest or background with a heightened attention to visual detail
* ReactJS or ReactNative application development
* HTML5 Video, ExoPlayer, Brightcove or other video players
* Client-side or Server-side ad stitching technology
* Ad Tech (VPAID, VAST) or Freewheel integration
* Connected device development like Roku, Xbox, FireTV or Smart TVs
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
EEO is the Law
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application process, please send an email request to HR@discovery.com.