We are seeking a talented and enthusiastic Graphic Designer to join our dynamic in-house Creative Team. The Graphic Designer is directly responsible for developing print and digital designs as required by Destination DC to reach its goals and fulfill its mission as the official destination marketing organization for the nation’s capital.
Destination DC serves as the lead organization to successfully manage and market Washington, DC as a premier global convention, tourism and special events destination, which a special emphasis on the arts, cultural and historical communities.
The ideal candidate is an avid doodler who geeks out on illustration, typography and new design technologies, enjoys open collaboration, and possesses a knack for adapting to changing priorities quickly and with a positive attitude. Reporting directly to the Creative Director, you will serve on a five-person Creative Team within our Marketing & Communications department, alongside a Senior Designer, Project Manager and Creative Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure brand consistency while offering fresh and innovative design solutions that push the boundaries and help to shape the Destination DC brand moving forward.
- Conceptualize and design a wide range of collateral for marketing, sales and other internal stakeholders based on creative briefs, including but not limited to:
- Illustration-heavy projects including mural designs, greeting cards, cartoons/animations, icons, etc.
- Promotion-specific media including logos, brochures, promotional items, etc.;
- Event-specific media including digital and print invitations, signage, stage décor, tradeshow booth displays, etc.;
- Internal branded materials including PowerPoint templates, Word document templates, electronic and print newsletters, sales/promotional kits, meeting and convention trade materials, etc.;
- Web-specific materials including headers, ad units and graphics for social media channels and washington.org.
- Prioritize multiple running projects with production manager, delivering final deliverables on-brief and on-time.
- Interpret and apply design feedback from Senior Graphic Designer, Creative Director and both internal and external stakeholders.
- Review final deliverables with an exacting eye, ensuring that graphics and layouts meet the highest standards.
- Maintain creative policies and presentation standards, as appropriate to the organization.
7. Other duties as assigned by Creative Director.
Education, Competencies, & Experience
1. Two to four (2-4) years of professional print and digital design experience;
2. Four-year degree from an academic institution in design or relevant field;
3. Expertise in illustration and layout (both print and digital), with motion graphics experience a plus;
4. Demonstrated proficiency in Adobe CC (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects) and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel and Powerpoint);
5. Knowledge of print and digital delivery processes and demonstrated ability to prepare print- and digital-ready files for vendors;
6. Understanding of current web standards and UX/UI fundamentals;
7. Ability to juggle multiple priorities, meet deadlines, and work within defined design limits to produce the highest quality material;
8. Capacity to shape and adapt creative and branding created by another professional, when necessary;
9. Solid written and verbal communications skills;
10. Strong attention to detail and time management skills;
11. Video (Premiere Pro CC or Final Cut Pro X) and photo editing experience a plus;
12. Hospitality or arts and cultural experience a plus;
13. In-house design team or agency experience a plus;
To apply send cover letter, resume and work samples, www.washington.org/Careers