We’re looking for a senior software engineer that cares deeply about building great systems and products from beginning to end. Our continually growing membership leads to “flash sale”-like traffic that requires us to build and engineer systems that are well-built, reliable and performant. The perfect engineer for this role is one who has had significant experience building applications for public consumers at scale. This engineer is a Ruby on Rails expert who is always looking to grow their skill set. Adherence to best practices, a strong approach to testing and a tenacious spirit are key characteristics of this engineer. This role is best suited for someone who is looking to help build and mentor other engineers and in time, grow into a lead role.
- Design, develop and maintain our core operational systems utilizing clean, maintainable code.
- Help to plan, oversee and implement new features within our product and systems.
- Partner with product managers, designers and QA engineers to bring life to new features and products.
- Utilize monitoring and logging to improve the quality and speed of our codebase.
- Evangelize best practices within the engineering groups.
- Help to develop our internal processes and tools as we move towards a fully automated CI/CD process.
- Perform and participate in code reviews and “lunch and learns” to foster training and development across the team.
- Provide mentorship and support to junior team members.
- 4+ years of professional Ruby & Rails experience with a proven track record of successful projects.
- Strong understanding of object-oriented programming best practices and design patterns.
- Strong familiarity with data stores — we use MySQL, Redis, Memcached, and Elasticsearch.
- Significant experience building, scaling and supporting web applications both internal and consumer-facing.
- Comfortable being productive independently while staying integrated with the larger engineering team.
- Experience working with Git and GitHub (specifically working with pull requests).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working with an agile team.
- Familiarity with React, Redux or GraphQL is a big positive.
- Knowledge working with data pipelines (we use Amazon Kinesis) and data & BI platforms (we utilize TreasureData, Amazon Red Shift, Amazon Lambda and Chart.io).
- Experience with service-oriented architectures.
- Familiarity with AWS or Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience doing DevOps work (we utilize Ansible, Terraform and aim to use Kubernetes in the future).
This is an on-site role. Applicants must be living in or intending to move to the greater NYC metropolitan area.
- Open PTO (within reason)
- Summer Fridays (half days)
- Catered Friday Breakfast
- Personal Tech Budget
- Personal Wellness Budget
- Lots of free samples
- 2 friendly dogs in the office
- Pre-Tax TransitChek Commuter Benefit
- Health Care Flexible Spending Account