General Job Description
The UI Developer position will work collaboratively with IT Department and general Vera staff to design, develop, and maintain a presentation system to be used by Vera staff and customers. This presentation system may consist of windows applications, web applications, web services, mobile apps, or other software protocols and systems required to interface with a variety of lower level business and data systems. An example of such protocols could include , ODBC, IEC, or Web Service Interoperability. Presentation media may be electronic or hard copy.
The ideal candidate will have a balance of skills in layout and graphic design and front-end development. The position could be broken down as fifty percent front-end development, thirty percent graphic and layout design, and twenty percent back-end development. Critical to this position is the ability to use vector drawing tools like Adobe Illustrator, CorelDraw, or to produce original graphic elements adhering to corporate design standards. The ability to produce layout designs using wireframe, mockup, and story boarding skills and techniques will also be necessary.
Experience and Education Requirements
- Minimum of three years experience in UI development or design
- Portfolio of professional work
- Prefer a bachelor’s degree with a major in software development or design, or graphic design, or a related field of study. Certified training proving competency in these areas would also be considered.
- Fluent in front-end development languages, i.e., HTML/CSS, PHP, , XAML
- Proficient in object oriented development languages, i.e., Java, C#, Python
- Programming experience with third party APIs
- Basic understanding of object oriented design principles such as encapsulation, abstraction, inheritance, and polymorphism
- Skilled in the use of graphic design tools such as Adobe Creative Suite
- Capable of producing original content including graphics, iconography, electronic and print media layout design
- Experience developing ADA compliant user interfaces or web sites
- Collaborate with IT staff to integrate various technologies into the presentation layer project
- Support other IT staff as required in designated projects
- Communicate with general staff and potentially customers to gather input and feedback regarding presentation development
- Conceptualize, design, and develop a comprehensive user interface operational across multiple technology platforms
- Maintain developed source code to accommodate changes to underlying business and data applications
- Periodically refresh layout and design elements to avoid stagnation or an outdated user experience
- Function as a backup to social media communication and basic IT help desk support
- Periodically review and update user interfaces, web sites, and social media applications for ADA and other legal compliance
Outstanding benefit package including full medical, dental, and vision for employee and qualifying dependents. State government retirement through PERS, 457 tax deferred savings and HRA VEBA.