The Atlantic is a digital-first media company with over 150 years of history and millions of online visitors. Founded in 1857 and today one of the fastest-growing media platforms in the industry, The Atlantic has throughout its history championed the power of big ideas and continues to shape global debate through our two websites: TheAtlantic.com and CityLab.com. We work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment out of our office in the historic Watergate complex in Washington DC.
Who You Are
You are an experienced UI / UX focused front end developer with a keen eye for design and experience collaborating with designers on style guides and component libraries. You are knowledgeable about CSS conventions and naming methodologies such as BEM, SMACSS, OOCSS, and can describe their relative merits. Finally, you know the architectural strategies and practices that are necessary for organizing and maintaining a component library for a complex, fast growing website.
We welcome out-of-town applicants willing to relocate to the DC metro area for full time on site work, but are currently unable to sponsor applicants unauthorized to work in the United States.
- Primary owner of our style guide and component library
- Ensure CSS and HTML components have clear documentation and automated unit and integration tests
- Work to continually reduce our front end website load time
- Communicate and collaborate with both technical and non-technical members of the team
- Work with the design team to ensure all new components are flexible and maintainable
- Implement new features for TheAtlantic.com and CityLab.com where they will be viewed by millions of people
- Experience architecting a CSS codebase and style guide at scale
- Strong technical and non-technical communication skills
- Able to write semantic and accessible markup that our growing team can easily maintain and iterate with
- Able to look at a design and break it into well organized reusable components
- Comfortable with Git for version control
- Effective time management when working on multiple projects
- Passionate about front end performance with up-to-date knowledge of current techniques
- Able to provide a code sample demonstrating expertise at writing and organizing CSS and HTML suitable for a complex, fast-changing website
Employees at The Atlantic are entitled to benefits including: 401(k) savings plan with employer match, health care with domestic partner coverage, flexible vacation and sick leave policy, commuter benefits, and rooftop happy hours with one of the best views in DC.
Atlantic Media Values:
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in you, and everyone else. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions –
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual integrity, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, and giving voice to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks those with natural disposition toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits, but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.
Extract or delete some HTML tag attributes from the desired tags, based on your criteria with the online HTML editor. Other useful features will help you to make web content composing a piece of cake.