Who is Modea?
We are a technology consultancy working with healthcare marketing teams to dramatically improve and enhance the digital patient experience. We fundamentally believe that digital tools should provide better control, transparency, and choice for healthcare consumers. Finding a doctor should be as easy as comparing flights with Kayak, and booking an appointment should be as easy as hailing a car with Uber.
Here are a few ways to get to know our work:
- Check out the Duke Health website. We designed and built the entire thing.
- Read this blog post about some work we did with ImagineCare, a joint venture between Microsoft and Dartmouth-Hitchcock.
- Search for a doctor at the Carilion Clinic website. We recently helped them transform their site experience and digital tools like search and find-a-doc
What does a Senior UX/UI Designer do at Modea?
We tackle interesting projects on cross-functional teams made up of software engineers, designers (that’s you!), project managers, strategists and web analysts. These team members work very closely with each other and the client to design and build awesome, consumer web and mobile experiences. We conduct user research and establish ourselves as the expert on a project team when asked “What’s best for the user?”
We’re currently looking for a hardworking and experienced Senior UX/UI Designer to lead user research and visually design innovative user interfaces for some of our best clients. The right person for this role has experience with both UX research and high fidelity visual design, is a great communicator, and understands how to design with a purpose. They also have experience leading and mentoring other designers. This is a full-time position located at our headquarters in Blacksburg, VA.
Here are a few specific things we’d be looking for you to do:
- Conduct user experience research and testing: We want you to be incredibly connected to the designs you’re producing and the goals those designs are working to accomplish. By getting involved in this work you’ll be able to interview live users of the client’s website or app, develop personas, and conduct research that provides a clear understanding of how design, site architecture, and content can impact the user’s experience.
- Create exciting and effective visual designs: Once the UX research is done, it’s time to put pencil to paper (so to speak) to create high quality designs that will help the end user realize greater value from their web or mobile experience.
- Meet project goals and deadlines: We operate a robust “Lean Agile” project management practice that helps us stay organized and iterate our work to create client value faster. This involves being a part of regular meetings and collaborating with the rest of the team within two-week sprints.
- Bring design best practices to the table: We’d consider you the design expert on each project and would be looking for you to ensure that design best practices are being followed at all times.
- Lead others: Part of this role will be collaborating with, coaching, and mentoring other members of the design team. This will involve both informal mentoring as well as formal reporting relationships.
What are we looking for?
Here is a list of skills and qualities that are critical to this role:
- Be a great listener and communicator (oral and written)
- Be naturally curious and love problem solving
- Have experience doing UX and UI design on multiple projects
- Enjoy working together with developers to bring a design to life
- Be proficient in the principles and practice of Mobile First and Responsive web design
- Be an expert using industry standard design software like Sketch and Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Experience leading other people (coaching, mentoring, interviewing, etc.)
- Have a positive attitude and an inspiring work ethic
- Be able to think commercially and translate business goals into your work product
- Be pleasant to work with and a team player
- Have a college degree or a similar degree of life experience
- Be passionate about interaction design and ready to share your favorite blogs, authors, etc.
- A working knowledge of atomic design principles and use of pattern libraries
Why should I apply?
First, you’ll love the work we do and the people you’ll get to do it with. We’ve assembled an exceptionally smart and hardworking team and you’ll enjoy the work associations and general camaraderie with other “Modeans.” We also work with great clients who value us and our contributions.
Second, Modea offers a great benefit package that provides both a fun and enjoyable workplace and great perks that will improve your quality of life:
- Flexible paid time off
- Modern, open plan office
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Catered team lunch every Friday
- Regular employee events (parties, community service, etc.)
- Discounted gym membership
- Paid downtown parking
- Generous health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401k with fully vested company matching
- Long term & short term disability
The working environment here at Modea is one of accountability and autonomy. We are working to solve big problems. So we expect a lot, but give team members the tools, freedom, and flexibility to come up with great solutions. Together, our team is developing world-class technology that will change the way healthcare is delivered.
If you’ve read to this point you should probably apply. Not ready? Shoot us a note at email@example.com with any questions.
Flexible paid time-off policy
Free snacks, drinks, and Friday lunches
Discounted gym membership
401k with fully vested company matching
Please send us your resume, cover letter, and link to your design portfolio.