We are currently looking for a talented Full Stack Developer to join our small but growing team of experienced web professionals. This is a leadership position and we’re wanting you to be on-site. Relocation assistance provided if we both feel it’s a perfect fit (and you’re wanting more sunshine).
As a Full Stack Developer, you will be responsible for maintaining and enhancing our growing portfolio of successful client web sites, and for guiding new client web sites through all stages of the development process from conception to execution.
But that’s not all.
We are also looking for the right candidate to help shape our process moving forward. As such, you’ll have the unique opportunity to put your own stamp on our methodology, to help hand-pick the tools and technologies that will drive all of our future projects, and to have a significant voice in the direction and makeup of our growing team.
As a Full Stack Developer, you should be comfortable with all stages of the software development lifecycle, including Front End Development, Back End Development, and day-to-day Server Administration. You will work with our Lead UX Designer to plan and scope project features, our Project Manager to coordinate timelines and schedule deliverables, and directly with clients to discuss ideas and gather additional requirements.
Suitable candidates should have at least 5 years of experience in Back End Development, including:
- PHP development, including advanced concepts like design patterns, object-oriented programming, and MVC frameworks.
- Integrating web sites with 3rd party APIs, Web Services, and authentication using OAuth.
- Integrating web sites with Content Management Systems (e.g. WordPress), and extending CMS functionality with custom PHP development.
- Integrating e-commerce solutions and payment gateways.
- Integrating web search applications.
- Using Composer to manage dependencies and install 3rd party PHP libraries.
- Interacting with MySQL databases, including data modeling and schema generation.
- Managing and using Git repositories for version control.
Suitable candidates should have 3-5 years of experience in Front End Development, including:
- Working in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, and converting design mockups and prototypes into working code.
- Writing semantic HTML and creating dynamic templates.
- CSS, including SASS or LESS-like CSS preprocessors.
- Web standards and best practices for performance, search-engine optimization, and accessibility.
- Responsive design.
- Testing for and troubleshooting browser compatibility issues.
Suitable candidates should have 3-5 years of experience in Server Administration, and be comfortable with performing the following duties:
- Using VirtualBox to manage virtual machine instances.
- Working in the Linux command line (installing & updating packages, editing configuration files, managing services, troubleshooting, and optimizing for performance and security).
- Configuring Apache & NGINX with multi-site environments and managing modules.
- Configuring PHP environments and managing modules & extensions.
- Configuring and optimizing MySQL Server instances.
- Using Plesk or cPanel to administer a web server and configure client hosting accounts.
- Using an SFTP client and SSH shell to access/administer local and remote servers.
Note: we partner with RackAid to help shoulder this load.
Ideal candidates may have the following optional skills:
- Experience with Contao for content management.
- Working with Adobe Fireworks files.
- PHP development frameworks like Symfony or Laravel.
- Using Vagrant/Puphpet to manage development environments.
- Familiarity with various production environment solutions, and the ability to recommend and implement a suitable solution based on client needs.
- Unit testing and test-driven development.
- Experience with the CSS-Crush preprocessor.
- Past experience with Mootools (for legacy sites).
- Experience achieving PCI-DSS Compliance.
- Experience configuring MySQL Replication.
Stalk, er, learn more about ProtoFuse
- Our manifesto. Our core values. Our driving principles. Call them what you want, our SEETAP speaks into ProtoFuse’s DNA.
- The Problems We Solve for our clients
- The 6 Promises We Make to our clients
ProtoFuse is NOT
- We are not a full-service agency (we stress in new business development that our focus is on just websites and inbound marketing — we strive to be the best at our specialty)
- We’re not going to micromanage you (this isn’t Office Space around here)
- We’re not ho-hum about the work we do (the passion word gets abused today, but collaboration is fueled by it and we like it and want it)
Super-extra-awesome-stuff that’ll get you an interview immediately
- If you like the NFL (specifically the Chicago Bears)
- Office Space jokes
- Animated GIFs
- Toddler horror stories (to make us feel better about our lives)
No PTO policy, 2 weeks off at end-of-year for Holidays, team lunches, ongoing education reimbursement (books, paid webinars, conferences, etc.), flexible work schedule, and ability to work FOR and WITH good people that are professional, respectful, and nice.
With your application, we’d like for you to check out our “Client Results” section and share two things: 1) What client stands out to you from a Front-end Development perspective? and 2) Explain a detail on a client’s website that you would have approached differently (and why).