Flocabulary is a rapidly growing edtech company that uses music to drive student achievement and foster a love of learning. Students in more than 20,000 schools use our rap songs and interactive learning tools to master academic content.
We’re a collaborative team, supporting each other with code reviews, pairing, and knowledge sharing. We hold ourselves to high standards, but don’t blame and finger-point. Engineers are encouraged to hone their craft and ship excellent code; we also stay engaged with the product development process, thinking deeply about the way our tech will be used and having high empathy for our users. Flocabulary’s web application runs on Django and Python on the server-side, and React/React Router/Flux on the client-side.
As an Engineering Lead, you’ll be the most senior engineer on one of our pods: Growth, Retention, or Internal Tools. As a leader on a small, fast-moving team building an education app that just reached 1 million users, you’ll have an instant impact on teachers and students in classrooms around the world.
- You have 4+ years in a similar role.
- You have solid Python, SQL, JS and general programming skills and are comfortable reading, writing, and reasoning about code. Experience with Django and React is a plus.
- You write clear, testable, maintainable code, and enjoy communicating about how it works.
- You like working on a small team and thrive in a lightweight development process.
- You have great communicating skills and experience interfacing with product managers.
- You’re happy to mentor more junior engineers including a few hours of pair programming per week
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive salary
- Fully paid medical, vision, and dental insurance for full time employees and employer contribution toward dependent care
- Company stock options
- Flexible time off and parental leave policies
- Retirement savings plan (401k) with partial company match
- Health & wellness stipend
- Office in Dumbo means easy access to our roofdeck, parks and waterfront with postcard views
Send us your resume, a place to find some of your code, and a cover letter explaining why you’d be great for the job.
Because we’re hiring for three positions, you can indicate if there is a particular pod you’re most interested in. Our Growth pod is focused on acquiring users. Our Retention pod makes sure our users are using the product and coming back. And our Internal Tools pod works on the crucial infrastructure and integrations that make keep our ship afloat.
—Company paid medical, dental and vision healthcare —401-k with partial company match —Parental Leave —Generous paid time off —Monthly catered lunches —Unlimited snacks and Brooklyn Roasting Coffee —Weekly Happy Hours —Weekly company sponsored workouts by the water —Quarterly team events —Offsite teambuilding and strategy sessions —Wellness stipend —New office in Dumbo, steps from Brooklyn Bridge Park —Bike storage