The Elevator Pitch
Interested in solving challenging, high-impact problems? Come help lead our small, passionate team working to drive quantifiable change in primary care in East Africa through data-driven software. You’ll have the opportunity to help transform our startup into a company serving millions of people, all while spending weekends in tropical paradise or on the best safaris in the world.
Who we’re looking for
We’re looking for a creative, experienced, and motivated developer to help scale our product suite across Kenya. Candidates should be excited about the prospect of taking a leadership role in a fast-paced, dynamic start- up environment, be interested in helping galvanize a budding tech community, and have a penchant for adventure. You will be joining a small, enthusiastic tech team of 3-4 of Kenyans and expats during a period of aggressive scaling across the region. As such, you’ll have the opportunity to make a large and visible impact on our company and the autonomy to build our tech to thrive at scale.
- Help scale our Android app and server-side components (we’re building micro-services primarily in Node and Python) to support our growing client base
- Help to build and develop tools to support streamlined and quality supply chains and integrated financing for medications in an environment where up to 1/3 of medications in the country do not meet international quality standards.
- Develop our server-side and client-side patient care technology. This includes building out our intelligent SMS health tips platform, and developing analytics pipelines to feed critical health information back to our clients.
- Develop our analytics and data processing tools so we can provide insights into previously invisible market trends and generate novel data on health trends, patient behaviour and prescribing habits at scale
Or (almost) anything else that you’re interested in. Our philosophy is that you should work on things that excite you most.
Why you should come work for us
We’re not a fancy Silicon Valley company. We can’t offer you catered daily meals, a ping pong table, or 30” monitors. What we can offer you is an opportunity to drive real, quantifiable change, help lead a small but passionate tech team, and give you access to some of the world’s most incredible places. We are dedicated to our work, and care deeply about our product’s impact, the clients and patients who use our software, and the company’s success. You’ll get the opportunity to help grow a small startup from a local operation, to a company serving tens of millions of people. On top of all of this, you’ll have the chance to explore this incredible region – spend weekends in tropical paradise, chase after lions and elephants, or climb some of the tallest free-standing mountains in the world.
About Maisha Meds:
Maisha Meds is driven by our mission to build systems with potential for large-scale impact in improving access to medicines and healthcare across East Africa. We work with pharmacies, which are the primary point of care for over 60% of the region’s population, to improve their patient care through clinical oversight and medical advice, while offering simple and effective business management tools with the goal of reducing stock outs and improving financial performance. We are a data-driven company, and are working to provide visibility into a previously opaque segment of the pharmaceutical market as well as generate large-scale insights into prescribing behaviour and medication habits. We can then use this data to support access to finance, improve supply chain efficiency and help ensure medication quality.
We see our people as our greatest asset, and we have a dynamic and engaged team working full and part-time. We are a flat organization, where everyone has input into the development of the business. We enjoy our work, and try hard to make sure that each team member is working on tasks that interest him or her most.
Moving to East Africa is a big decision, and we get that. As such, we’re offering a variable term contract, so you can decide how long you’d like to stay. That said, we require a 6-month minimum commitment, and suggest staying at least a year. Your offer will include a return flight to/from Nairobi, as well as flight(s) home during the contract period depending on the length of your stay.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related field, or equivalent professional experience
- 2+ years of experience in either mobile or web development
- 1+ years in a leadership role, or can demonstrate the required software development
and personal skills to excel in a leadership role
- Experience scaling mobile or web products
- Experience working on a full software stack
- Some Android experience required
- Experience with Node.js and/or Python a plus
- Data science experience a plus
- Ability to evaluate and prioritize a long list of dependent and independent tasks based on business and technical constraints
- Entrepreneurial nature, creativity, resourcefulness, and a sense of humor
- The ability to work well with a culturally diverse team
Access to tropical paradise, the best safaris in the world, too many spectacular life experiences to count and the vacation time to enjoy it all. Oh, and we’ll pay for your flight(s) here, and home if your contract period is long enough
Send your resume, links to any personal projects you’ve done and a cover letter (optional) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “Senior Software Engineering Fellow”