Head of Engineering
New York, NY
Enveritas aims to sustainably verify 100% of the world’s coffee production by 2020 and end poverty in the coffee sector by 2030. We are doing this by creating a low-cost, high-fidelity platform that helps coffee companies verify the sustainability practices of the products they source with complete transparency. As a social enterprise, we will channel the cost-savings that result from a re-engineered verification process into technical assistance funding to assist the poorest farmers out of poverty.
You will design, implement, and maintain our technology stack from end to end. Our core product consists of a mobile survey application, a data ingestion and validation system, and a reporting interface for clients (coffee companies). We are also building tools for machine learning to optimize our verification work on the ground with farmers and for data visualization to enhance our ability to deliver insights for clients.
Your instincts and experience will drive our product design and the growth of our engineering team. We expect you to develop a vision for the “big picture” architecture of our system and create a roadmap for implementing it. You will have the opportunity to build out a team of engineers below you, so you should be comfortable managing people with different skills sets and coordinating multiple complex, time-sensitive work streams simultaneously.
Our Ideal Candidate Has:
- Bachelor’s in computer science or related field from a top university
- 5 years’ experience scaling systems at a tech-driven company
- Strong knowledge of agile project management and software development techniques
- Proven experience managing teams of engineers across a technology stack
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with modern devops workflows and tools (e.g., Heroku, Docker, AWS)
- A passion for social change
Bonus Points For:
- Master’s degree in computer science or related field
- Experience developing software for physical world applications (e.g., delivery/routing
- systems, physical modeling and analysis)
- Experience with modern web development frameworks (e.g. Angular.js, React)
- Experience with the Android SDK as well as third-party libraries and APIs
- Large company + Startup experience highly preferred
More about Enveritas:
We are recruiting a global team of socially-motivated professionals for roles in software engineering, data science, business development, and operations (on the ground in Africa, Asia and Latin America). We are currently a team of 20 people. We have secured funding for platform development, testing and scaling, and already have significant revenues from clients. Our full-time positions offer flexible hours and excellent benefits, including paid holidays and time off, insurance, 401k with matching, etc.
Enveritas is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.