COVERT NINE, a Chicago-based startup, is in search of a local frontend developer, with a heavy focus on WordPress, to help with ongoing client projects, as well as with our own internal WordPress themes and plugins.
If you’re someone who can do frontend HTML/CSS/JS in your sleep, develops WordPress themes from scratch, writes code by hand, and loves tinkering with child-themes, plugins, and OOP, then this is a job that you will enjoy, all while having the opportunity to learn about design, SEO, UI/UX, and content marketing.
You’ll be part of a small team of people working with some of the most respected brands in Chicago including Riot Fest, Aloha Poke Co, Harry Caray’s, StarEvents, Chicago Gateway Green, Amdur Productions, as well as a host of Chicago restaurants, event companies, bars, nightclubs, small businesses, startups and non-profits. Unlike some companies, our developers play a pivotal role in the early planning, design, development, and execution of projects from start to finish—we don’t treat our devs as code monkeys.
While frontend development is the core responsibility of this position, there are several other skills we expect of the ideal candidate:
- Ability to speak intelligently about design and work well with designers and clients
- Dedication to meeting deadlines and balance multiple projects
- Clear communication skills and strong writing abilities
- A strong interest in learning new skills and applying new technologies to internal and client projects
This job is available now, and is already stacked with a queue of upcoming projects, as well as internal work on our own themes and plugins, that you’ll have an opportunity to earn equity in should that be something that interests you. We’re looking for an entry-level developer, so we expect you to do some learning on the job, but we do expect a strong foundation of frontend coding techniques, WordPress development, and a strong interest in continuing to learn new development techniques to improve upon your skills.
- 2 years of experience (No degree required)
- Expert knowledge of standards-compliant HTML5 & CSS3 and responsive design techniques
- Familiarity with front-end frameworks (Bootstrap)
- Heavy experience with the WordPress ecosystem, building WordPress templates, including OOP PHP techniques, and modifying themes with child themes
- Adobe Creative Suite proficiency
- Knowledge of version control (Git)
- Understanding of accessibility best practices
A note about job requirements
We know what it’s like to be in your position, because we were all there not too long ago. This is a job that will be challenging, and you’ll learn a lot from the team around you, working on client projects for cool companies that we’re fans of. If you’re great at frontend, but not too great at design, that’s okay—very familiar with HTML/CSS but still learning JS, that’s okay too. We’re more interested in a person who’s a self-starter and eager to learn.
This is a full-time position:
- Paid time off for vacations or illness
- Flexible work schedule
- Laptop provided
- Work from our office and from home from time to time
- Free drinks at the office: Red Bull, Water, Gatorade
- Free tickets to events around town
Everyday is casual Friday at COVERT NINE, with the exception of the occasional client meetings.
Send us a resume, examples of your work, your GitHub profile, (if applicable) and a cover letter if you feel so inclined.
We will only be accepting applications from Chicago-based developers. COVERT NINE does not outsource coding work, and is not interested in hiring any additional full-time remote positions at this time.