Grove is a fast-growing venture-backed ecommerce brand based in San Francisco, with a mission to help families across the country make the switch to natural, non-toxic household products. Our small and mighty team of 60 (25 in SF) has introduced hundreds of thousands of families to beautiful, sustainable household and personal care products. Our culture is defined by mutual respect for colleagues, working together for common goals, and getting things done. We love craft coffee and aggressive goals. We dislike plastic water bottles and complacency. We are a B Corp and believe our duty to the community, to our environment, and to our employees are as important as our duties to shareholders. We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to help us tackle the challenges that come with growing and scaling at an exponential rate.
Our flagship product is our website: www.grove.co, a unique, subscription-based commerce experience that leads the sector in engagement and repurchase. The Grove site is a Django application, exposing REST API endpoints that conform to the JSON-API spec. The front-end of the site consumes those endpoints, as do a myriad of internal tools.
You will be part of a collaborative team that values creativity and innovation and believes in technology as an accelerant to everything we do. We’ve grown 4x in the past year, and plan on doing it again this year which brings with it some interesting scaling challenges. We would love to hear your ideas on how we can improve and build on our successes.
We write tests, we contribute to open source (and create a lot of it see github.com/groveco/), we practice continuous integration & deployment (a typical day sees 5+ production deploys), and we focus on shipping working software with measurable outcomes.
It’s a heck of a lot of fun, and we’d love to tell you more about it.
Our Ideal Candidate Has:
- 4+ years professional engineering experience
- Reasonable fluency in SQL
- Backend services and RESTful APIs
- Python + Django experience (preferred but not required)
- A belief in automation, in testing, and in a devops philosophy (though this is not a devops role)
- Ecommerce experience (whether virtual or physical goods) (preferred but not required)
- Willingness/desire to jump into and own projects - creatively, structurally, etc.. with high impact results
- You like solving real problems, and seeing your code live in production. You know to think clearly about tradeoffs. You know to ask why and are the person who discovers that, when someone is asking for a shovel, maybe they really need a hole.
- Experience working with business stakeholders to solve problems and make appropriate tradeoffs
- Ability to see around the corner; to foresee and head off technical challenges
- Create segmentation tools to bucket customers into groups that should get different on-site experiences. Then work with the rest of the engineering team to make those on-site behaviors a reality.
- Build real-time integration with shipping and logistics services; customers should get shipping and tracking notifications texts within minutes of the data being available.
- Revamp our analytics pipeline to integrate on-site behavioral data with transaction & purchase data, and make the result easy to use. The more accessible data is to everyone in the company, the more decisions get made with good analytical support.
- Build forecasting simulation tools for long-lead products. We make our products (from soap-dispensing sponge wands to coconut body lotion) and need an increasingly sophisticated peek into the future to make the right amount of product at the right time.
What we can offer:
- Health Coverage
- Dental & Vision
- Commuter Benefits
- Media subscriptions
- Employee discount
- High-end computer & monitors, etc.
- Pay for a streaming music service of your choice
- Office dogs