Blackbox is hiring a Senior Visual Designer who wants to help us build tools for independent artists, customers, and warehouses.
Blackbox is a new shipping company from the creators of Cards Against Humanity.
Our mission is to help independent artists sell and ship stuff directly to their fans for a fraction of the cost and effort of doing it themselves. Blackbox works like a co-op: if we all go in together, we get the cheapest pricing, the fastest shipping, and the best service. We think the future will favor independent creators selling their own products, without publishers or bloodsucking middlemen taking most of the money. In fact, we’re betting the company on it.
The technology we’ve built so far has shipped the most-backed Kickstarter game in history, sold over 10,000 Cards Against Humanity Trump Bug-Out Bags in under two hours, distributed 30,000 pieces of cow poo, and helps our clients run their successful small businesses.
About the Role:
Our product team finds elegant solutions to tricky problems and makes the mundane task of shipping enjoyable for our clients. As a key member of our product team, the Senior Visual Designer will work closely with user experience designers and developers to ship product quickly and often.
The ideal candidate is excited to deeply understand complicated problems and contribute holistically to solving them. We’re interested in hiring well-rounded people with hobbies and side projects who are curious about learning new things and contributing to our culture in unexpected ways. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
This is a full-time position based in Chicago, IL, with benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance, and generous vacation. We work out of our wonderful co-working space full of other amazing artists, developers, game designers, photographers, and the occasional dog.
- Create thoughtful and appropriate solutions to design challenges while collaborating with developers, designers, and accounts managers.
- Create mockups, prototypes, mood boards, and finalized visual assets.
- Translate research and business requirements into user flows, wireframes, and high-fidelity user interfaces.
- Create prototypes to demonstrate interactive elements of designs.
- Work alongside front-end engineers to translate designs into code.
- Maintain and develop brand standards across product and marketing designs
- Take ownership of projects from start to finish.
Skills and Qualifications
- A minimum of three years experience designing usable experiences, preferably on an in-house product team.
- Visual design skills that demonstrate expertise in user interfaces, art direction, and brand identity.
- Adept at prototyping with tools like InVision, Marvel, or Atomic.
- Ability to create wireframes, high-fidelity user interfaces, and prototypes.
- High attention to detail, including proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously.
- Be collaborative and articulate. Be able to clearly explain your design choices, but value the feedback of your team.
- Experience with data visualization a plus.
- Ability to lead projects and turn them into shippable products.
- BA or BS in Design or similar field.
To apply, please send the following: • A brief introduction to yourself and why you want to work at Blackbox • A link to your online portfolio • Your résumé • Salary requirements
No cover letters.
Please note that applications without portfolios will not be considered. Candidates must submit more than a Dribbble/Behance link for consideration.