Senior XD Designer
About the O’Reilly Experience Design (XD) Creative Team
We are a hybrid (Design & Code) in-house agency, working on strategic XD projects across our online platform. We create user experiences that support and encourage learning for individuals and teams, across media, in alignment with the O’Reilly brand and our user’s desires.
In addition to XD product roadmap-driven sprints and ongoing day-to-day design support, we also collaborate with O’Reilly’s online marketing teams. The solutions we create inform our product marketing campaigns and promotions, and reinforce our unique perspective, expressed through online experiences, live in-person and online events, and social media.
At its core, our creative team is focused on the delicate balance of ideas, aesthetics, messages, form, function—and brand. Because the best design is that which has a positive influence on the lives of our customers, we put understanding their needs and desires at the heart of everything we do.
About the Job:
The Senior XD Designer:
- Leverages core experience design and atomic design principles to weave iconography, typography, color, space, and texture together online to create an unparalleled learning experience on the O’Reilly platform
- Designs interfaces (and thus experiences) that inspire, engage, inform, and excite our customers
- Applies graphic and user-centered design principles to produce high-quality visuals—from concept to component-driven comps—across multiple platforms
- Collaborates with and mentors designers and creative team(s) across the company to continuously refine and center the O’Reilly design language, and create innovative, branded designs that people love viewing, using, and sharing with others.
- Is an advocate for the user. Our users inform where we are going. Our teams focus on listening to users, and letting their needs guide us to the best solutions. It’s important for us to know we are solving for real people.
- Has the ability to take full ownership your work, and take responsibility for every last detail, every step of the way.
- Maintains and contributes to the company’s digital visual style guide
- Reports to and follows the vision and direction of the Digital Creative Director
- Helps to build an exceptional UX design team
- Solid understanding of designing intuitive user interfaces across desktop, tablet, and mobile devices
- Strong working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite,InVision, Sketch, Principle
- Keen typographic skills
- Able to collaborate as project leader, contributor, or partner; treat colleagues with respect and collegiality
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills; able to communicate ideas in a clear and compelling manner
- Able to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience working in an agile and/or scrum environment
- Close attention to detail
- Organized, able to both create and follow processes and procedures
- Can-do attitude; accepts difficult challenges with curiosity, creativity, and dedication to craft
- Associate, BA, or BFA degree
- 3–5 years of professional visual xd experience (preferably including some agency experience) designing large-scale responsive products, high-content properties, and mobile applications for brands and/or media.
- Online portfolio of work, demonstrating experience leading or managing the design of complex systems across multiple platforms, including mobile and touch-based interfaces.
- Basic proficiency in MS Office, Google Docs, Gmail, Slack
Physical Requirements: (with or without accommodation):
- Ability to sit and use a computer keyboard for up to 3 hours at a time
- Ability to talk on the telephone frequently and for extended periods of time
- Ability to speak, read, and write in English
- Ability to travel on occasion, up to 5% annually
O’Reilly Media is an equal opportunity employer.