Everyone deserves a job they love. Makers Academy retrains people as software developers and helps them find that job.
You deserve a job you love. We’ve got one for you.
You want to be more than just an engineer or a manager or a teacher or a consultant: you want to help people learn new skills and behaviours at an unbelievable rate, which will help them change their lives for the better.
You’ll be coaching incredible people, diverse in age, race and gender, from a variety of commercial backgrounds, in our industry-leading engineering training (read our Education Manifesto). You’ll also be building products to automate and scale the delivery of that training.
You’ll have complete freedom to act in a way that you believe is the best for the company. You’ll have a genuine say in the way the business is run, and the environment in which you work.
When you’re coaching, you’ll be:
- preparing and delivering skills workshops;
- running breakouts on particular topics;
- working individually with students;
- facilitating group code reviews;
- improving the curriculum;
- providing moral support.
When you’re engineering, you’ll:
- lead and partner on various initiatives automating facets of coaching work, along with great, thoughtful coaches;
- help us increase the proportion of our students who find jobs they love to 100%;
- carve out a niche for yourself in the company: “This is what I’m doing, this is how I want to grow, who’s with me?”
When you’re not doing those things, you’ll be:
- working in a company that’s pushing the limits of self-management (click to read more on our blog), experimenting with which company structure is best for the information age and beyond;
- growing as a person, by learning radical transparency, vulnerability, the growth mindset, emotional intelligence, ‘non-violent communication’ (click to read more), hard truths about yourself, and how to give and receive feedback honestly and productively;
- able to do yoga twice a week (click to read more) and guided meditation every day;
- playing all sorts of board games, card games, video games, table tennis and Nerf wars;
- working in the hammock (click to read more), on the bean bags or sofa;
- surrounded by a diverse group of incredibly smart, motivated people, who all really care about doing the very best they can for our students, for our hiring partners and for each other.
We’re the best at what we do, according to our clients (both students and employers), our competitors (they all admit it), industry bodies, the press and the government. We can only get better by working with you.
Everyone should have a job they love. Including you.
Location: Our academy in Spitalfields, London. This is an onsite role.
Salary: High market rate for a software developer; twice market rate for a teacher. After that, you’ll set your own salary (click to read more).
Hours: You choose.
Holiday: Unlimited, paid.
Hierarchy: Makers Academy is a company built on trust, rather than fear (read more our CEO’s blog). This has variously been described as: self-management; teal; holacracy; and emergent hierarchy.
- 20 mins phone interview
- A short technical assessment, with a round of feedback
- 60 mins with two people from the coaching team
- 60 mins with the CEO
- Offer & references
About Makers Academy
Makers Academy is a fully immersive, full-time computer programming bootcamp, designed to turn people with no knowledge of web-development into job-ready junior developers in just 12 weeks. We’re Europe’s #1 Developer Bootcamp, running cohorts of our Onsite course every 6 weeks, and our Remote course every 12 weeks.