About Government Executive Media Group:
Government Executive Media Group (GEMG) is Atlantic Media’s B2B division focused on public sector innovation. Known as one of the fast-growing B2B digital media companies, GEMG’s brands include Government Executive, Nextgov, Defense One and Route Fifty, all of which now hold market-leading positions in their respective sectors. GEMG clients are composed of Fortune 500 companies, who engage with GEMG to create cutting-edge marketing programs across digital, events, research, and custom content.
We’re looking for a senior web developer to lead the development of GEMG’s digital products. This person will be responsible for overseeing development on a suite of products, developing and executing new digital experiences, planning projects with the business team, and providing technical expertise.
The ideal candidate will be a talented and knowledgeable engineer, passionate about strategic thinking, adept at designing complex applications, and at-home building consensus with a team of developers and product managers. He/she will also offer intuitive solutions to business priorities, opportunities and challenges, elevate impacts and tradeoffs of recommendations, and effectively communicate technical concepts and ideas to non-technical team members.
- Conceptualize and create innovative digital products and tools for our digital-only media publications
- Build our four digital media publications, user database, and related digital products
- Develop Athena CMS, our proprietary CMS based in Django’s admin framework
- Improve our native iOS and Android apps
- Find and fix security vulnerabilities
Our CMS and Web Sites are based on a single large Django application with Percona (MySQL) as the database backend. We also have an Audience Database for managing email marketing and other tools, which is also built on Django but with PostgreSQL as the database backend. In both cases, we use NGINX for load balancing and serving static files and uWSGI for the Django application itself.
We also have several news-focused iOS apps, built using Objective-C, and a single Android app.
- 5+ years of professional Web Development experience
- Ability to communicate well with technical and non-technical colleagues
- Understanding of all phases of Web Development from CSS to DB design
- Comfort working in command-line linux
- Experience with Django and Python preferred
Atlantic Media Values:
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in its candidates. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
- Force of Intellect - Atlantic Media seeks a discipline and rigor of thought as manifested, often, in exceptional academic performance and, later, success in a professional environment.
- Spirit of Generosity - Equally, Atlantic Media seeks what we term a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition towards service and selfless conduct.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.