We are looking for a developer to support our major creative applications: the Learning Management System, Content Management System, Video Content Management System, Event Calendar, and several other smaller applications.
We are a versatile DevOps team who work closely together with lots of mutual support. We work in a lot of different technology stacks and try to expand into new ones as the opportunity arises. We like open source, open APIs, and open-mindedness. Our work has the potential to have a positive impact on a great number of students, faculty, and staff.
We’re looking for someone with a good understanding of the modern web and its denizens. Someone with the motivation to stay on top of new trends, update best practices, and figure out the best way to help the most people. Most of all you should be a great developer who can get comfortable in any technical environment.
- excellent 100% paid medical insurance, plus 50% paid dependent coverage
- 12 vacation days per year, increasing with years of service
- 12 sick days per year
- 13-14 days of paid holiday per year
- pension plan with 6.8% employer contribution
- enroll in courses with some fees paid, during paid work time (with approval)
- support for pursuing professional development opportunities
- Develop features and fix bugs for a variety of software packages
- Customize existing software to meet the university’s needs
- Create integrations between major applications on campus
- Perform upgrades and merges
- Design new software as needed, generally for smaller projects
- Participate in design and strategy meetings
- Work closely with our support team to prioritize projects
- Work closely with our design and support teams to create the best possible interfaces
- Stay up to date on best practices, advise others with what you learn
- Occasionally present or suggest topics to improve our team awareness and practices
- Maintain documentation on project details, integration points, and routine tasks
- Strong front and back end web development skills
- Strong skills creating and utilizing RESTful APIs and other web services
- Strong understanding of databases as they apply to mobile and web applications
- Ability to analyze and develop software in multiple languages and environments
- Ability to read, evaluate, and criticize code changes made by others
- Ability to translate non-technical user requests into technical requirements
- Ability to follow complex written and verbal instructions
- Ability to present complex material to technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to contribute to design and strategy discussions
- Understanding of modular/layered software engineering practices
- Understanding of object-oriented programming
- Understanding of common Accessibility issues
- Experience with Java in the web environment
- Experience working with and contributing to open source projects
- Experience with common open source software (Linux, Apache, Tomcat, MySQL, Java, PHP, Ruby, Node, etc)
- Experience in a higher education environment
- Posting Number: 2017265
- Department: Learning Applications Solutions
- Monthly Salary: $5350-$5850
- Open for Applications: 3/31/2017
- Open Until: Position is filled
- FLSA Overtime: Exempt (no overtime)
- Normal Work Hours: M-F 8a-5p
Additional Information for Applicants
If selected for an interview, applicants will be required to complete written skill-based interview questions.
YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO ELECTRONICALLY ATTACH A RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO YOUR APPLICATION.
Legal and Required Notices
Texas State University, to the extent not in conflict with federal or state law, prohibits discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
Employment with Texas State University is contingent upon the outcome of record checks and verifications including criminal history, driving records, education records, employment verifications, reference checks, and employment eligibility verifications.
Texas State University is a tobacco-free campus. Smoking and the use of any tobacco product will not be allowed anywhere on Texas State property or in university owned or leased vehicles.
Texas State University is a member of the Texas State University System. Texas State University is an EOE.
Texas State is committed to increasing the number of women and minorities in administrative and professional positions.
Great health coverage, pension plan, sick and vacation days, winter break, flexible hours, enroll in courses, pursue professional development activities.