Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation’s capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
UX/UI Designer, Web Services - University Information Services
Georgetown University’s Web Services team is seeking a UX/UI Designer who can combine user experience principles and visual design to build innovative and user-centered web sites, mobile applications and other digital experiences for the university. This position will transform high-level concepts into artful and intuitive interfaces through both static and interactive prototypes.
The UX/UI Designer interacts extensively with the broader user community, including all levels of administrative staff, faculty and students, and works collaboratively with other Web Services staff as well as web and communications teams in the Office of Strategic Communications, the Office of the Vice President for Global Engagement and the Center for New Designs in Learning and Scholarship.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Conducts field research through usability tests and face-to-face interviews; creates user personas and incorporates analytics into design decisions.
- Keeps up-to-date on the latest user experience research, interface design innovations, and best practices.
- Designs beautiful, intuitive, and functional user interfaces and interactions, designs individual components and page layouts, and ensures design meets Georgetown’s visual identity guidelines.
- Works with developers to translate interactive and database-driven interface concepts into functional designs.
- Works collaboratively with other UIS Web Services staff, as well as with web and communications teams in the Office of the Vice President for Global Engagement and the Center for New Designs in Learning and Scholarship.
- Bachelor’s degree - preferably in design, communications, computer science, or a related field
- A minimum of 3 but preferably 5 years of professional experience in UX/UI design or development
- Expertise writing user personas, conducting user interviews, building complex information architectures, and designing website wireframes.
- Expertise in Photoshop, Sketch, Illustrator
- Experience with responsive web design
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently to understand client and user needs, manage competing priorities, and be fully engaged in in-person collaboration
- Strong communication skills
- Experience with mobile app design
- Experience in designing for multiple languages, including Spanish, Chinese, or French
- Experience with Git/GitHub
- Experience with Bootstrap, AngularJS, Drupal, WordPress, Ruby on Rails, and/or Django