Ghostery is a recently-acquired subsidiary of Cliqz GmbH, a leader and innovator in building revolutionary products that deliver a more private internet that puts user needs first. For our part, Ghostery proudly offers a wildly successful self-named browser extension that is used by millions of users around the world to detect and block tracking technologies on websites for a cleaner, faster, and safer browsing experience. Our New York City office boasts a small but dedicated team that operates much like an independent startup but with complete backing and support from our Germany-based parent company, Cliqz, that includes close collaboration on product and projects. Our team implements a user-driven, evidenced-based product development process that uses a Lean Agile framework to quickly test and build new features in two week sprints. We have big plans for 2017 and we are looking to aggressively build a team that will help us bring those ambitions to life.
We are looking for a full-time User Experience designer for our New York, NY office with a portfolio that shows a strong, clean visual design sense, a proven ability to collaborate with team members to build great products, and a flexible skillset to tackle a diverse set of responsibilities in a small but fast-growing tech startup. Your primary responsibility in this role will be to own the design of our suite of Ghostery products, but you should be prepared to get your hands dirty with a myriad of other tasks. For starters, you will largely drive our discovery process and user experience research efforts to ensure that we completely understand our users and their needs inside and out. As part of this, you will be expected to generate new ideas and concepts and aggressively test and validate them and ultimately turn them into well-polished designs and user stories. Beyond this, you will also be expected to help nurture and evolve the Ghostery brand as we expand into new opportunities as well as design landing pages and other collateral that will be used for marketing and PR. This role will also include occasional travel to the Cliqz offices in Munich, Germany, so globetrotters looking to satisfy their international wanderlust are very much welcome. Finally, this role is perfect if you’re looking to grow beyond your day-to-day responsibilities to help shape not just the product team but the entire company.
- Owning the end-to-end design of the Ghostery desktop and mobile products, including interaction design, information architecture, content strategy, and visual design details
- Working closely with a global, interdisciplinary team in two-week agile sprints to ensure smooth and pragmatic integration of your designs
- Collaborating with product managers to discover and understand user needs and ultimately define the product vision
- Driving user experience research –user interviews, user tests, a/b tests, etc – to rapidly test, iterate, and validate product concepts
- Creating personas, user journeys, and other assets to facilitate product discovery and development
- Create landing pages, power point presentations, and other marketing collateral
- Create brand and style guides to create overarching standards
- Occasional travel to Munich, Germany
- A portfolio that features a strong, clean visual design sense
- Experience designing native apps, websites, and mobile products
- BA/BS or MA/MS in Graphics Design or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years of experience in UI/UX design for usable web and mobile interfaces
- Experience conducting user interviews, user tests, and other UX research activities
- Ability to learn, understand, and explain new concepts, business processes, design techniques, and tools
- Exceptional written and spoken communication and presentation skills, including the ability to translate ideas into tangible design solutions while clearly articulating the reasoning behind them.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively on an agile, global team
- Excellent skills in layout, hierarchy, color theory, and typography
- Proficient in Sketch, Invision, Illustrator, mobile prototyping tools, usability testing software
- Experience working for a B2C startup
- Experience providing specs and assets to a sprint-based agile team
- Experience with digital agencies and / or with brand strategy
- Deep understanding of browser extensions and privacy products
We offer health benefits, 401k, yearly bonuses, 30 days PTO, and other perks!
If you are interested, please send us resume, cover letter, and portfolio.