The PHP Software Developer designs, engineers, develops, enhances and supports business, and web applications. This position works within the Burning Man Technology Department developing tools to manage the data flow between multiple departments and platforms, currently including Salesforce, WordPress, Shiftboard, SurveyGizmo, and TicketFly. As well as, develops solutions for scalability and performance and must be familiar with proper relational database design and implementation.
This role works closely with system administrators, front-end developers, and department stakeholders.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Development and Architecture
- LAMP stack development - primarily back end and middle tier, some client side
- Import and export MySQL data, run custom MySQL queries
- Optimize existing code for continued performance enhancements
- Debugging and fixing existing applications
- Develop code, forms and other components of projects that are related to the user interface of systems and websites.
- Perform software customization modifications in order to ensure system functionality meets user requirements.
- Perform system configuration to set up software packages on the development and production servers.
- Implement report generation tools such that accurate and complete reports are generated to support end user specifications.
- Personally perform quality assurance unit and system testing on every project.
- Propose improvements to the existing architecture.
- Enforce software best practices, standards, and processes in a shared development environment.
- Document implementation and interfaces standards.
- Participate in technical reviews conducted of software development projects that are not LAMP stack systems.
- Coordinate with project managers, the development team and stakeholders to ensure that projects are delivering the functionality and design as agreed upon.
- Work with project managers to develop and work to realistic project timelines.
- Analyze business requirements and devise robust, scalable, and easy to maintain solutions within existing hardware and software architecture.
- Communicate solutions to both technical and nontechnical stakeholders.
- Coordinate with end user teams during end user acceptance testing cycles.
- Resolve any post implementation interface-related technical issues.
- Research and evaluate software packages for usability, functionality and maintainability.
- Provide technical documentation of solutions.
On Playa Support
- Manage and support on playa Technical Operations Team with technical solutions and issues as necessary.
TEACHING AND LEARNING
- Documentation - Assists in the creation, publishing, and maintenance of process documentation related to their assigned duties.
- Knowledge sharing – Helps acculturate and educate junior staff and volunteers in Burning Man culture and business processes.
- Training development - Collaborates with the education team to develop training materials in their area of expertise, as requested.
- Learning – Pursues ongoing learning in their area of expertise, working to stay current on emergent knowledge, skills, and processes.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, related technical field or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years experience as a software engineer
- 3+ years of experience in Web Development
- 3+ years experience with developing in the LAMP stack
- A firm grasp of object oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving
- Practical experience with numerous website software platforms, development tools, methodologies and best practices for process management.
- Experience with MVC architecture
- Experience developing RESTful APIs and other backend services
- Experience with WordPress, WordPress theme and plugin development
- Understanding and commitment to security
- Experience working in development and production software environments
- Experience using change control software and managing change control processes
- Strong collaboration skills and experience working with a small team of developers
- Very motivated by and interested in current and emerging web technology trends.
- Leadership experience managing the resolution of production support issues in a high profile and high-risk environment.
- Ability to supervise and mentor others to foster a cooperative and collaborative work environment.
- Very strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Very strong social, networking, and interpersonal skills.
- Dedicated to principles of behavior and ethics of the Burning Man organization.
- Ability to adjust schedule seasonally to work at the Burning Man event held in Nevada
- Significant knowledge and experience within the Burning Man Project, organization and community.
- Experience in developing for Amazon Web Services
- Experience in Nginx
- Experience in Python
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Off-playa: Work is primarily sedentary in nature, no special demands are required.
- On-playa: Work is primarily sedentary but will also include the need to find and meet with department representatives who may not be in the vicinity therefore this could include walking or using some form of transportation. Some of the work will be in outside weather conditions and will be exposed to fumes or airborne particles as well as possible extremes in temperature
ABOUT THIS ROLE
- This is a regular, full-time position eligible for benefits, working out of our San Francisco office and in Black Rock City, Nevada
- Burning Man is an equal-opportunity employer.