The Atlantic is looking for a designer to work on the user experience, interactions, and UI for our digital products. The ideal candidate’s experience is rooted in established design principles, and champions best practices and industry standards. You will need a good sense for when to apply established patterns and styles, as well as when to evolve them. You will identify and help correct product inconsistencies, on both the visual and experience sides. Most importantly, you will create beautiful (and usable) interfaces that help our editorial team tell their stories.
What you will do:
- Work on the entire lifecycle of the product: research, prototyping, high fidelity comps, and collaborate with engineers on implementation.
- Collaborate with product managers, developers, editors and other designers.
- Help us evolve and expand our design system, affectionately called Hippo.
- Design variations of existing site features and new digital products for continuous A/B tests and improvements on the site.
- Balance the needs of editorial, the business, and the user.
- Work on both customer facing interfaces as well as internal tooling.
What we are looking for:
- 1-3 years experience designing digital products. Experience specific to media or publishing is a plus.
- You enjoy both craft and deliberate, long-term systems thinking. You enjoy perfecting typography just as much as creating a component library.
- An understanding of layout, typography and visual hierarchy, coupled with user centered design and best practices.
- You’ve designed and shipped mobile and web products.
- Software expertise with Sketch, Illustrator, and Photoshop. Experience using wireframe and prototyping tools, such as Invision, Omnigraffle, Framer, or Principle. A solid understanding of HTML and CSS. Coding experience is a plus.
- Excellent communication and writing skills: can brainstorm with a group, articulate ideas, and tease out feedback from colleagues.
- Enthusiasm for The Atlantic and a desire to contribute to the growth of our design culture.
Candidates must apply with a link to an online portfolio that shows 5+ examples of product design. Candidates without an online portfolio or web-specific examples will not be considered.
About The Atlantic Digital:
The Product team is a relatively small, friendly bunch of folks, including the VP and general manager of TheAtlantic.com, product directors and managers, platform and front-end engineers, and the product design team. We work closely together, meet frequently and promote discussions that encourage new ideas and critical thinking. We have bagels on Thursdays and drinks on Fridays.
Atlantic Media Values:
Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual integrity, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, and giving voice to the latter.
Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks those with natural disposition toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits, but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.