Chances are good that working for Lullabot will be like nothing you’ve ever done before. Lullabot has been a leader in Drupal-focused web development since our founding in 2006. We’re a distributed company without a central office, and we hire the best talent wherever those people may live. Our team is spread out across the US, Canada, and Europe. Most of us work from home. We are masters of communication and our tightly-knit team works closely despite geographical separation. In fact, most new employees say they feel more connected to their co-workers at Lullabot than they ever did at a conventional co-located company.
Lullabot hires humble individuals who strive for excellence and lifelong learning with the ultimate aim of helping others.
Responsibilities and Duties
The ideal candidate will be willing and eager to:
- Work in service of Lullabot’s clients, team members, and the web-at-large, while embodying our core values in their work.
- Collaborate openly with designers and back-end developers to translate visual designs based on business and functional requirements into well-crafted front-end components.
- Apply front-end design patterns and best practices to ensure sites are performant and cross-browser compatible.
- Write, write and write some more. Lullabot hires individuals who write well, believing that good writers are good thinkers and tend to flourish in a distributed company where communication is often asynchronous.
A typical day might begin with a Lullabot team call or some written communication time, followed by a project scrum, and then finish with four-to-six hours of writing, testing, and documenting code, usually for a single project.
The chosen candidate will report to the front-end development manager, Sean Lange, and also be accountable to the project manager on their specific project. But fear not, these relationships are not meant to be hierarchical or controlling, but rather mutually beneficial, supporting your development and growth. Also, you won’t find better colleagues to learn from or a more receptive audience to teach.
The chosen candidate must be willing and able to travel, up to one week per month. Also, the candidate must actively participate in communicating with other Lullabots in tickets, Yammer, Slack, through articles, and on calls.
We have flexible hours, but we tend to schedule meetings during the North American workday and expect employees to be online and available during most of this time.
Areas of focus for this position will include:
- Front-end Architecture: Helps make the decisions that lead to a sustainable, component-based architecture that minimizes technical debt and allows others to navigate the codebase.
- Responsive Design: Make sure our mobile first designs look good on every conceivable viewport. We think of breakpoints not so much in terms of mobile, tablet, desktop, but rather as the point where a design starts to break as the viewport expands.
- Accessibility: Which involves ensuring that a website appears correctly on all devices and browsers, including for those with limitations. For more on Lullabot’s work around accessibility, visit our accessibots website.
- Usability: Strive for simplicity. Make inviting websites that work for ordinary users rather than websites that overwhelm.
- Performance: We work on high-profile, high-traffic websites and a deep understanding of front-end performance is essential.
While some of these qualifications may be aspirational, this list reflects the general skill-level we expect:
- B.S. Degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science or related field, or 2+ years working experience as a front-end developer or related field.
- Knowledge of current front-end design patterns and best practices.
- Experience with responsive design.
- Expertise in cross-browser compatibility and progressive enhancement.
- Experience with version control systems.
- Experience with preprocessors: Sass.
- Knowledge of front-end performance techniques.
- Familiarity with Drupal development and coding standards.
- Experience with enterprise-level deployment and build processes.
- Use of ReactJS (ideally having launched large-scale applications).
- Flux or similar data-flow architectures (We use Redux).
- Gulp, npm, Webpack, Babel, Eslint, Mocha, PostCSS are all JS tools that we use on a daily basis.
- Knowledge of video streaming techniques. Many apps that Lullabot works on are made purely to stream video. Although we often don’t write the video processing logic ourselves, it does help to have a general understanding.
- Experience with BrightScript and Roku app development a plus.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Thorough attention to detail, quality, and precision.
- Ability to keep your cool, or, put another way, the ability to manage multiple, time-sensitive tasks, while attending to the next right thing.
- Experience working with large, distributed software teams is a plus.
Benefits and Perks
Lullabot is distributed, but not a “virtual” company. The majority of our workers are full-time employees, and we provide a great benefits package including health, vision, dental, and life insurance; a retirement plan; a generous tech stipend for employees to purchase computers, cell phones, etc.; and a stock options package once you reach your two-year anniversary. We offer new employees 15 paid-days-off per year plus holidays, which goes up to 20 days on your two-year anniversary. And did we mention there’s no commute? Your time is flexible as well, so if you’re a night-owl and do your best work after dark, or you need to take a break to pick the kids up from school, it’s usually not a problem.
As a distributed team, we frequently use video calls and the like to stay connected. This is your first chance to try it out with us! Create a brief (2 min or less) video introducing yourself and talking about your interest and experience for this job. We recommend creating a password protected video on Vimeo, but feel free to choose whatever method suits you best. Take a look at one-of-these-videos to see what some Lullabot employees have submitted in the past.
$65,000 - $85,000
Pay will be commensurate with experience. Full-time, exempt position.
One More Thing…
A quick read through Lullabot.com will show you that we grow very deliberately and take our time hiring. Our hiring process can be lengthy because we want to get it right. We try to be transparent about our timeline and welcome you to reach out to email@example.com and touch base on your application at any time.
Lullabot, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, or membership in any other class protected by law. Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to complete the application and/or interview process should notify Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.