Your main responsibilities will be with Blackbox, a new shipping company we’ve created with the mission to help people sell and ship stuff directly to their fans for a fraction of the cost and effort of doing it themselves.
The ideal candidate is eager to deeply understand complicated problems and take a lead in solving them. We’re interested in hiring well-rounded people with hobbies and side projects who are curious about learning new things and contributing to our culture in unexpected ways. Please consider applying even if your background doesn’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
The technology we’ve built so far has shipped the most-backed Kickstarter game in history, sold over 10,000 Trump Bug-Out bags in under 2 hours, distributed 30,000 pieces of cow poo, and raised nearly $3 million for nonprofits like the Wikimedia Foundation, the Sunlight Foundation, and DonorsChoose.org, where Cards Against Humanity has funded over 13,000 teacher projects in high-poverty classrooms across the United States.
Day to day you’ll be working closely with a small team of designers and engineers, primarily on Blackbox, to plan and build new features, and optimize existing ones. We’re currently using Ruby on Rails, AngularJS, PostgreSQL, Redis, Elasticsearch, and AWS to make this happen, but we’re open to always open to new technologies if it makes sense.
- Build and launch various web projects for Blackbox (and occasionally Cards Against Humanity)
- Minimal systems administration of web servers and AWS infrastructure.
- Collaborate with other team members; you should be willing to champion your ideas (especially those in the best interest of the customer), but also be able to work towards a compromise solution.
- Blackbox and Cards Against Humanity are design-led companies, and you should be comfortable making development part of our product design process.
- You should be excited to test ideas with our UX designer, ask tough questions, and adapt based on what we learn.
- From time to time you’ll be helping out Operations, Accounts, or Customer Service to dive into the nitty-gritty of a particularly weird Kickstarter project, warehouse inventory issue, a missing order, you name it. You’ve gotta be able to roll with the punches and stay calm.
SKILLS AND QUALITIES WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Expert knowledge of Ruby on Rails.
- Experience with frameworks like AngularJS or React.
- Elasticsearch knowledge would be a big help.
- Responsive design and web standards.
- Familiarity with AWS, testing, deployment strategies, and building and consuming APIs.
- Comfortable hopping into a production console and running custom reports, or fixing data if we have to.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
Money, health/dental/vision insurance, generous vacation time, a new computer, and other benefits. You’ll be part of a small company and small team, so you’ll really be in the mix. There’s a lot of opportunity to work autonomously, to learn, and to experience variety and challenge in your work. It’s a casual, informal (but professional and hard–working) work environment, and interesting projects and people are often crossing our path. This is a full-time position based in Chicago, IL, though there’s opportunity to work remotely from time-to-time, and we’ll consider full-time remote employees if you have previous experience working with a remote team.
If this sounds appealing to you, please get in touch.
Ready to join the team?
To apply, please send the following to email@example.com
- A brief introduction to yourself.
- Your work history.
- One particularly difficult or interesting problem you’ve solved recently.
- A link to your website, GitHub, or relevant work examples.
- Approximate date you’re available to start.
- Salary requirements.
Please send us the following: A brief introduction to yourself, your work history, a link to your website, GitHub, or relevant work examples, approximate date you are available to start and your salary requirements.