Government Executive Media Group (GEMG) is Atlantic Media’s B2B division, providing authoritative information and analysis to managers across the federal, defense and state and local sectors of government. GEMG serves Fortune 500 companies, emerging tech companies, and other clients through creating and executing best-in-class marketing programs across digital, events, research and custom content services.
GEMG is looking for a talented designer to help optimize and create digital products for all Government Executive Media Group publications - GovExec.com, Nextgov.com, DefenseOne.com and RouteFifity.com. The ideal candidate spins up wireframes, web page layouts, email templates and editorial graphics. The ideal candidate’s experience is rooted in established design principles, and champions responsive design best practices. This person is also an outspoken partner who can collaborate one-on-one or with teams, who can roll with shifting priorities, and who keeps up with ever-changing digital trends in design and UX.
The Senior Web Designer is an innovative thinker with the ability to manage a high volume of individual projects simultaneously. You should apply if you are tech-savvy and efficient with great attention to detail and the ability to solve problems quickly and creatively.
Position in Brief
Primary responsibilities include designing responsive web pages, email templates, layouts, features and modules for all Government Executive Media Group sites. The designer will collaborate frequently with developers on designing A/B tests, and will improve the UX and function of existing products. Additionally, there may be opportunities to produce graphics for editorial projects, such as title treatments, infographics, powerpoints and other art for special projects, plus consumer marketing products (such as house ads for the website).
Attributes Particular to this Position:
- Strong design aesthetic comprising best practices in digital typography and layout. Intensely interested in user experience and follows web design trends.
- Experience creating wireframes, prototypes and responsive web designs, factoring in requirements around ad sizes and viewability.
- A solid understanding of HTML and CSS. Coding experience is a plus.
- Software expertise with Adobe Creative Cloud, namely Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign. Familiarity with tools such as Brackets, Pardot, Sailthru, Sketch and Sublime Text.
- Excellent communication skills: can brainstorm with a group, articulate ideas and tease out feedback from colleagues.
- Top-notch organizational skills: can prioritize tasks and workflow efficiently, while being flexible when collaborating with members of multiple teams.
- Experience specific to media or publishing is a plus.
Candidates must apply with a link to an online portfolio that shows 5+ examples of web/product design. Candidates without an online portfolio or web-specific examples will not be considered.
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in its candidates. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
1. Force of Intellect - Atlantic Media seeks a discipline and rigor of thought as manifested, often, in exceptional academic performance and, later, success in a professional environment.
2. Spirit of Generosity - Equally, Atlantic Media seeks what we term a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition towards service and selfless conduct.
Atlantic Media is an equal opportunity employer of minorities, women, veterans and those with disabilities.