All of our positions are 100% remote, but focused in certain timezones. These roles are focused on 1) UTC+0 - UTC+4, and 2) UTC-5 timezones.
The Hotjar Hero team supports thousands of users and customers in over 180 countries by providing world class service, documentation, and training. The Hero team also works closely with our product teams to help prioritize and define changes to Hotjar to continuously improve the overall user experience.
We are looking for extremely organized and self driven Hotjar Hero Engineer to work in a remote role with a fast growing startup.
All new Heroes receive extensive technical, product, and marketing training – as well as a yearly budget for additional training and self development. With this knowledge you will help our users set up and use Hotjar features to improve the experience and performance of their sites and apps. This is a great opportunity to develop your career by learning new skills and joining a fast-growing startup.
Detail is key. Troubleshooting an issue isn’t always straightforward. Since our tool can get pretty technical, obsessing over detail really helps. If you can’t solve it, that’s ok - just provide enough details to help the engineers as they investigate further.
Empathy for the win. Our users come from a wide range of backgrounds and have a wide range of technical ability. Hotjar Hero Engineers need to be able to put themselves in the users’ shoes to help them resolve any questions while at the same time empowering users with knowledge.
Independent mindset. As a remote team, autonomy and self-motivation is necessary. One of our core values is Honesty. We don’t use apps to measure whether or not you’re working, we simply trust you. Are you up to the challenge?
Learning is growing. Hotjar is always adding new capabilities and improving the way our tool works. This means Hotjar Hero Engineers are always learning. Plus, it doesn’t stop there - everyone at Hotjar aims to learn 1% each day (machine learning, anyone?).
Go Team! Though we are spread across the world, our team is always in contact. We hold daily scrums, weekly planning, and company wide demos. We need to be prepared to step up if a team member is out. Or share a new idea we have for how to make the team or the company better. Being a team player is vital to the role of Hero Engineer.
What Hotjar Hero Engineers do…
- Creating ‘WOW’ moments by promptly replying and communicating with users on our support channels.
- Investigate and solve technical issues users face on a daily basis by debugging complex issues in our codebase and on our users’ sites – which use a myriad of different technologies.
- Distill complex issues into underlying causes and work directly with our product teams to deploy solutions while consistently delivering world-class support.
- Writing (and updating) documentation, FAQs and the Hotjar knowledgebase.
- Representing Hotjar users within the company – to further their needs and help generate
- Very strong English communication skills – both written and spoken. If you are fluent in other languages, tell us! German, French, Spanish and Japanese will be considered as assets.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex concepts that empowers our users without making them feel small.
- Be able to work independently - accountable for your own actions and able to act with both urgency and integrity
- Experience working in technical support roles and teams, Agile experience a plus.
- Desire and drive to always be learning.
- Ability to work independently and within a team towards both personal and shared work goals
- Passion for talking to users all day, every day.
- Proficient in any one of the following: Python, PostgreSQL, Mercurial, Redis, Memcached, Lua, Nginx.
- Previous experience in a troubleshooting environment and be a great problem solver.
Nice to have:
- Experience working in technical support roles and teams.
- Experience in codifying and maintaining customer support processes.
- Experience in working remotely.