The Atlantic is a digital-first media company with over 150 years of history and 30 million online visitors a month. Founded in 1857 and today one of the fastest-growing media platforms in the industry, The Atlantic has throughout its history championed the power of big ideas and continues to shape global debate through our two websites: TheAtlantic.com and CityLab.com. We work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment out of our office in the historic Watergate complex in Washington DC.
Our tech stack includes: - Django - GitHub - SCSS - Slack
Who You Are
We are looking for a talented and knowledgeable front-end engineer who is passionate about clean code and great journalism to join our growing team for full-time on-site work. We welcome out-of-town applicants willing to relocate to the DC metro area but are currently unable to sponsor any candidate unauthorized to work in the United States.
- Work with designers and developers to craft innovative reading experiences
- Communicate and collaborate with both technical or non-technical members of the team
- Implement and deploy new features to TheAtlantic.com and CityLab.com where they will be viewed by millions of people
- Strong technical and non-technical communication skills
- Able to write semantic HTML5 markup
- Write clean, maintainable, and well organized CSS for a responsive website
- Comfortable with Git for version control
- Effective time management when working on multiple projects
Employees at The Atlantic are entitled to benefits including: 401(k) savings plan with employer match, health care with domestic partner coverage, flexible vacation and sick leave policy, commuter benefits, and rooftop happy hours with one of the best views in DC.
Atlantic Media Values:
Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual integrity, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, and giving voice to the latter.
Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks those with natural disposition toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits, but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.