The User Experience Designer will help support ASHA’s mission and vision by ensuring that its digital products are developed from a user-centric design perspective. The individual in this position will work collaboratively with a broad range of ASHA staff and consultants to envision and design user experiences that meet the needs of ASHA members and the public.
1. Act as an internal consultant and user experience designer for ASHA digital product development projects. Depending on the project, the User Experience Designer may need to be able to:
- Design and develop digital interfaces that promote usability and enhance users’ experiences and interactions with our products;
- Create project artifacts such as prototypes, process flows, wireframes;
- Support the translation of wireframes into reusable and scalable HTML/CSS/JS;
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams (DEV, UX & BA) to define, design, and deliver creative digital solutions.
2. On-going duties include:
- Collaborate on the development and maintenance of user experience design standards and guidelines for ASHA digital content and products;
- Advocate for best practices in front-end development;
- Leverage web analytics to understand and enhance the user experience;
- Keep up-to-date on the latest trends and best practices in user experience design and front end development.
Knowledge Typically Acquired Through
- BA or BS degree
- At least 3 years of experience developing web applications and digital products as an Information Architect, Interaction Designer, User Experience Designer, Web Designer, Usability Specialist, or Front End Developer
- Continuing education or coursework in user experience design, web application development, and web site development
Scope and Depth of Technical Skills/Knowledge
- In-depth knowledge of web accessibility standards
- Proficient understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues and mobile web standards
- Knowledge of at least one wire framing and prototyping tool (e.g., Adobe CS Applications, Omnigraffle, Balsamiq Mockups, or Axure) (portfolio or github samples will be required)
- Experience producing written and visual UX documentation including sitemaps, wireframes, reports, user flows, and PowerPoint presentations
- Experience with user testing and web analytics tools (e..g, Google Analytics, CrazyEgg, OptimalSort, Treejack, and Chalkmark)
- Experience using fluid grids, and working in responsive/adaptive websites using Bootstrap
- Experience with WordPress, Ektron, and SharePoint is helpful
Scope and Depth of Non-Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Ability to assume a leadership role in advancing ASHA’s overall user experience
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and anticipate next steps
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously
- Attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
EOE/minorities, women, persons with disabilities, veterans with disabilities and Vietnam veterans are encouraged to apply.
If you are applying for a specific job in our national office, include the position title. Your resume should include your e-mail address as well as postal mailing address and phone number.
You may submit your resume to ASHA any of three ways:
U.S. Mail: ASHA/(position title) 2200 Research Boulevard #235 Rockville, MD 20850
Download the employment application [PDF].