Shopify is Hiring a Senior Product Designer
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. Since 2006, we’ve grown to over 10,000 employees and generated over $496 billion in sales for 2 million merchants in 175 countries. Every 28 seconds, an entrepreneur on Shopify makes their first sale.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
Before you apply, consider if you can:
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion
- Embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
About the role
This is an opportunity to join Shopify’s 750 member UX team and solve challenging problems that impact real people as they grow and maintain their businesses. In this role, you will work collaboratively and build iteratively with a multidisciplinary team of developers, product managers, content designers, researchers, and marketers. You’ll deliver world class experiences that make potentially confusing business tasks intuitive and manageable, and empower entrepreneurs world-wide to achieve independence.
- Improve the merchant experience. You’ll own projects from start to finish, while leading various UX initiatives including running design sprints to define and explore merchant problems, content mapping, sketching, wireframing, low and high fidelity prototyping, and leading stakeholder reviews
- Partner with product researchers to help your team develop empathy for our merchants and advocate for their needs. Data will be just one of the many tools you will use to help inform your work
- Collaborate with different disciplines. You will work closely with engineers, product managers, product researchers, and front-end developers to explore, build and ship your designs. You will help other disciplines understand the value design can bring to a project and ultimately build and ship the best products
- Be a mentor to less-experienced designers and make your team stronger. You’ll provide feedback to your peers to help strengthen your team and Shopify as a whole. You will help your teammates build context, strong decision-making skills, and empathy for our merchants
- Ship valuable and high-quality work without sacrificing speed
- Collaborate with multiple teams. Designing for cross-product, cross-platform foundational features, you will be leveraging and incorporating the domain expertise of teams focused on specific merchant workflows
- Passion for solving product problems while balancing all facets of a user experience (strategy and research, information architecture, interaction design)
- A deep understanding of the end-to-end iterative design process including how to develop and use design research, job stories, journey mapping, content modelling, wire-framing, prototyping, user testing, and high-fidelity visuals to achieve human-centred design solutions
- Proficiency in interaction design for native mobile and web applications
- Experience collaborating closely with multiple disciplines including product and engineering
- Proficiency with current industry design and collaboration tools such as Figma, Sketch, Github, etc.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We are looking forward to reading your application. If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce around the world, send us a few samples of your work: portfolio, wireframes, UX flows, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
The shape of a Shopify career
Ben joined Shopify as a frontline Support Advisor with no background in programming or computer science. He’s now a Director of Engineering. Spanning 10 jobs on 7 teams in 9 years, Ben’s Shopify career path has twisted and turned as he’s worked relentlessly to pursue a career as an engineer and adapted to the pace of change—all fuelled by personal and professional hypergrowth.
“Our mission as a company is to spread entrepreneurship and help individuals become their own bosses and take control over their lives. I truly believe this mission and value in extreme personal growth and development extends to what’s expected as a Shopifolk. Shopify doesn’t like to tell people what to do. Not only is your career in your own hands, a lot of your day-to-day is too, which can be jarring for many people. To thrive here, you need to be someone who’s willing to take big bets on yourself and figure things out on your own.”