Anthropic is Hiring a Senior Software Engineer – Product
Anthropic’s mission is to create reliable, interpretable, and steerable AI systems. We want AI to be safe for our customers and for society as a whole.
We are looking for a senior software engineer to join our product team and help build interfaces and APIs to interact with large language models. You will work with a team of engineers and researchers to design and implement key components of our product and platform.
- Build core components of the API to access large language models
- Write billing, email, and other integrations with third party providers
- Develop conversational interfaces that leverage the language models
- Optimize the API and interfaces for performance, robustness, and ease of use
- Implement tools and processes to monitor model behavior and performance
- Work with researchers to improve interfaces based on interactions with real users
You might be a good fit if you
- Have 5+ years of experience as a software engineer, preferably building APIs and/or interfaces
- Have strong coding skills in Python and TypeScript and experience with microservices architectures in Kubernetes
- Take a product-focused approach and care about building solutions that are robust, scalable, and easy to use
- Enjoy working with a fast-paced team tackling cutting-edge problems in AI safety and conversational AI
- Enjoy pair programming (we love to pair!)
- Strong candidates may also have experience with some of the following
- Have worked with NLP and ML models before and understand their capabilities and limitations
- REST APIs
- React and frontend frameworks
- Containerization and DevOps
- QA and testing automation
- Privacy and security best practices
Compensation and Benefits*
Anthropic’s compensation package consists of three elements: salary, equity, and benefits. We are committed to pay fairness and aim for these three elements collectively to be highly competitive with market rates.
Salary – The expected salary range for this position is $270k – $445k.
Equity – Equity will be a major component of the total compensation for this position. We aim to offer higher-than-average equity compensation for a company of our size, and communicate equity amounts at the time of offer issuance.
Benefits – Benefits we offer include:
- Optional equity donation matching at a 3:1 ratio, up to 50% of your equity grant.
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance for you and all your dependents.
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching.
- 21 weeks of paid parental leave.
- Unlimited PTO – most staff take between 4-6 weeks each year, sometimes more!
- Stipends for education, home office improvements, commuting, and wellness.
- Fertility benefits via Carrot.
- Daily lunches and snacks in our office.
- Relocation support for those moving to the Bay Area.
* This compensation and benefits information is based on Anthropic’s good faith estimate for this position, in San Francisco, CA, as of the date of publication and may be modified in the future. The level of pay within the range will depend on a variety of job-related factors, including where you place on our internal performance ladders, which is based on factors including past work experience, relevant education, and performance on our interviews or in a work trial.
Deadline to apply: None. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Hybrid policy: For this role, we prefer candidates who are able to be in our office more than 25% of the time, though we encourage you to apply even if you don’t think you will be able to do that.
We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every single qualification. Not all strong candidates will meet every single qualification as listed. Research shows that people who identify as being from underrepresented groups are more prone to experiencing imposter syndrome and doubting the strength of their candidacy, so we urge you not to exclude yourself prematurely and to submit an application if you’re interested in this work.
How we’re different
We believe that the highest-impact AI research will be big science. At Anthropic we work as a single cohesive team on just a few large-scale research efforts. And we value impact — advancing our long-term goals of steerable, trustworthy AI — rather than work on smaller and more specific puzzles. We view AI research as an empirical science, which has as much in common with physics and biology as with traditional efforts in computer science. We’re an extremely collaborative group, and we host frequent research discussions to ensure that we are pursuing the highest-impact work at any given time. As such, we greatly value communication skills.
The easiest way to understand our research directions is to read our recent research. This research continues many of the directions our team worked on prior to Anthropic, including: GPT-3, Circuit-Based Interpretability, Mulitmodal Neurons, Scaling Laws, AI & Compute, Concrete Problems in AI Safety, and Learning from Human Preferences.
Come work with us! Anthropic is a public benefit corporation based in San Francisco. We offer competitive compensation and benefits, optional equity donation matching, generous vacation and parental leave, flexible working hours, and a lovely office space in which to collaborate with colleagues.