Element 84, Inc. is Hiring a Senior UI/UX Product Designer & Front End Engineer (Remote)
About Element 84
Element 84 is here to help accelerate and scale projects that have a positive impact on people and the planet. We solve challenging problems across a wide range of industries, but our super power is cloud-based geospatial data processing, remote sensing, and Earth science systems. We were founded by husband-and-wife engineers in 2010 and have grown into a skilled group of practitioners building high-performance systems for the biggest corporate and government clients in the world. Our main office is located in Alexandria, VA but we support a large remote workforce from Michigan to Texas and Pennsylvania to California.
A Few Other Things You Should Know
- Element 84’s values are: We Invest in Each Other, We are Reliable, and Our Work Benefits our World.
- Element 84 works on meaningful projects that are challenging—from a technical, people, and team perspective. We make an impact on large projects through our leadership and expertise, both formal and informal.
- Element 84 pays well but we care more about working on projects that matter.
- Element 84 values life outside of work. We offer parental leave for everyone and support each other through family challenges like medical problems, adoptions, and new babies.
- Element 84 has had a flexible work schedule since our founding in 2010.
- Element 84 has made a commitment to diversity. We expect the entire team to share that same commitment.
You are curious about the world, are constantly learning, driven to lead (formally or informally), and have a strong work ethic. You’re interested in solving impactful problems in science, medicine, and other projects that have a societal good. You can work independently or with a team, prioritize your projects, and be effective without micromanagement.
Element 84 is hiring a Senior UI/UX Product Designer & Front End Engineer to help us shape and build user interfaces for meaningful projects in the public and private sector. You’ll join a small team of multidisciplinary designers and front-end engineers working to solve challenging problems in geospatial, healthcare, disaster response, and transportation. We’re a small company with big roles, and you’ll be able to make an impact on day one.
We’re looking for someone that can take an idea from concept to finished product. At Element 84, our designers are multidisciplinary and must be able to work through UX, writing, visual design, and front-end development tasks. You’ll be leading the design and development of systems that require complex user interaction and fast, responsive interfaces. You’ll work closely with our engineering team to ensure that proper technologies and best-practices are in place to deliver an optimal user experience. As a U/UX Front-End Engineer at Element 84 you’ll have an opportunity to shape the design and development on key client projects. You’ll influence internal design practices and front-end development methodologies, and contribute to open source software projects.
You’ll care about writing. Our team is remote and written communication is key. In addition to caring about a well-crafted email and a succinct conference abstract, you understand that good writing is good UX.
Here are things we’ve worked on recently to give you an idea of how you might spend your day:
- Built user flows and wireframes for tasking Earth observation satellites.
- Created a modular front-end design system for an oceanographic data portal.
- Built an open-source React framework for quickly implementing Leaflet-based map interfaces.
- Designed and built a data dashboard for exploring regional water security issues.
- Extended and customized Bootstrap to create a front-end component library to promote organizational design consistency.
- Improved workflows and user interfaces for helping scientists and researchers find and use Earth science datasets and products.
Here are the guidelines we’re looking at to gauge experience and skill set:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or similar field of study from an accredited university preferred (will consider equivalent professional experience in lieu of degree)
- 6+ years of relevant experience in software and application development
- Strong visual and user interface design skills
- Experience with Git (or another SCM tool) and build tools like Gulp, Grunt, and Webpack
- Basic understanding of programming languages and frameworks like Python, Ruby, and Rails
- Experience with mapping and geospatial front-end development (Leaflet, Mapbox, GeoJSON, STAC) a big plus
- Ability to maintain confidential information
This position may be governed by a federal contract which requires applicants to be a U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization.
Paying attention to who we are as a company–people, family members, friends, and colleagues–is our primary focus at Element 84. There are lots of ways to run a company and for us, it’s wanting to come to work, being around people we enjoy, taking on big things with people you trust, and sharing our achievements as a team.
- You’ll get credit when things go right and we’ll have your back when things go wrong.
- We only take on work that is challenging and right for us. There are projects we will turn down and the team has a say.
- We may be a small company, but we have big company benefits meant to support the idea that we’re here for the long term and happiness comes from much more than where you work.
- We have an extraordinary retention rate because we hire extraordinary people. We hope that’s you.
Element 84 is an equal opportunity employer, with a company culture that values diversity.
We embrace inclusivity and believe that diversity of thought, perspective, and experience helps us reach higher and think bigger. Element 84 is committed to hiring the best person for the team and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
As required by the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, Element 84, Inc. provides a reasonable range of minimum compensation for roles that may be hired in Colorado. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including, but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and specific office location. For the state of Colorado only, the range of starting annual compensation for this role is $100,000 – $125,000. In addition, Element 84 may pay annual performance bonuses.
Benefit offerings currently include:
- Health insurance
- 401(k) company contribution
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Short & Long Term Disability
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Vision insurance
- Paid parental leave after 12 months of employment
- Bonuses for key industry certifications (ex: AWS)