Palantir is Hiring a UX Strategist
Palantir.net is a full-service digital consultancy that designs and develops solutions for healthcare, higher education, technology, and public sector clients using Drupal and other open source technologies.
We are consultants for complex digital systems who specialize in working with organizations at all stages of their digital transformation. We combine our expertise with theirs to help solve complex problems using an agile approach.
Founded in 1996, Palantir is a certified woman-owned small business headquartered near Chicago, Illinois, with a distributed team spread across 16 states and the District of Columbia. We have been a remote-first company since 2015, and our remote work process allows us to successfully collaborate with our clients wherever they are. Our flexible workplace environment is designed to support different people’s working styles and needs. To learn more about Palantir:
About the position
This is a position for an experienced UX strategist who can coach clients on their website content and create data-backed information architectures. We’re looking for someone who can communicate the connections between content, design, user and business goals. The ideal candidate empowers clients to think about their content as a system. This person is able to explain what success looks like to the project team as well as the client. They can explain how decisions in one area impact other areas.
The position is senior level. The strategist is expected to perform without a manager. This person has the experience or disposition needed to handle uncertainty with composure. They can guide others through uncertainty as well.
The strategist contributes as a practice leader within a project team. At times, they might serve as a product owner. The strategist is an expert on user research. They estimate, design, and execute research plans. Insights learned are then communicated to the client and incorporated into the project.
We expect the strategist to teach proven, effective processes to other UX strategists and designers. At the same time, this person is curious and open to learning new ways to solve problems.
This role is for you if you are a critical thinker, an empathetic communicator, and detail-oriented person committed to delivering great work.
Examples of UX strategy tasks
- Run discovery meetings with clients (identify goals, interview stakeholders, create alignment internally and externally)
- Conduct user research (competitive analysis, usability testing, other qualitative and quantitative methods)
- Use analytics tools like Google Analytics to inform decisions
- Collaborate with design and engineering teams to define page goals, user flows, and components that will be used sitewide
- Identify user groups and prioritize their top tasks
- Connect business goals with users’ needs
- Present and solicit feedback from clients
- Create taxonomies and information architectures
Examples of content strategy tasks
- Create content inventories and conduct content audits
- Gauge effectiveness of current content with users
- Coach clients on how to write for the web
- Create examples pages that show best practices for creating content
- Create editorial guidelines for site components
- Advise clients on how to write in plain language
- Demonstrable examples of UX strategy on a range of projects that:
- Include a variety of userbase sizes
- Encompass both front-end audiences and authoring experiences
- Experience working in Agile, self-organizing teams
- Self-directed and able to co-create with a self-organizing team
- Excellent client relationship and team-building skills
- Can present and advocate for their strategy work to peers and executive-level stakeholders
- Gathers actionable feedback
- Able to evaluate content effectiveness
- Curious. Able to say, “I don’t know, but I’ll figure it out,” and then follow through
During your first year, your accomplishments might include
First 3 months
- Developing and implementing strategy for 1-2 client engagements
- Connecting business goals to user interactions, content strategy, and information architecture
- Contributing ideas to the Palantir.net UX team about improving our work processes
- Receiving coaching and feedback on your projects from your colleagues
- Learning the technical strengths and constraints of our preferred technology solutions
- Facilitating discovery-phase workshops and activities
- Creating a variety of UX strategy assets such as:
- Content inventories, site maps, and content models
- Stakeholder interview scripts
- Usability testing plans and scripts for a project
- Content audits
- Reports from site-usage platforms like Hotjar, Google Analytics
First 6 months
- Running research for projects: designing the approach, conducting analysis, making recommendations
- Coaching clients on their content strategy
- Most likely will have completed 1-2 client engagements
- Increasing our UX strategy practice toolkit
- Working with a range of UX tools used by the Palantir.net strategy team
- Being a co-creator of UX approaches for clients
- Most likely will have completed 4-6 client engagements
Palantir.net is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and any links to project work through this site. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Important request for our application process
As part of our initial application process, we request that you remove any personally identifiable information before uploading your resume and cover letter. Our purpose with this request is to reduce unconscious biases. Please keep personally identifiable information limited to the fields you’re asked to complete on the screens in this site (BambooHR).
Identifiable characteristics to remove from your resume and cover letter:
- Replace your name with your initials
- Update your address to city and state only
- Remove email address
- Remove the name of colleges and universities
- If you have a connection with a current or former Palantiri, please wait until later in the process to share your connection
Palantir has an established pay scale that is Midwest competitive and provides equal pay for equal responsibilities by level. Applicants must be located in and legally able to work in the United States. No recruiters please. This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment. Employers can only use E-Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9. http://www.dhs.gov/e-verify